Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
good morning,

how do you scrub your new tires? a friend said he takes 120 grit sand paper and rolls the tires a couple of times to get the "slick" off...says he never had a problem....:confused:

normal procedure (for most of us) 80 to 100 "easy" miles, i.e. low speeds and easy curves....:)

just a question with no flames here....

thanks in advance...

pura vida,
FREE TEXAS,
bluebonnet2

· Registered
5,288 Posts
No need.

Just ride on them. They're not as scary as some people think. You can even go right to the edges of the tyres - and actually - you should.

Gentle acceleration and braking are all that's needed to be safe on them. After about 100 miles the grip is maximised - less if you scrub them in on the track.

It's actually working the rubber that matters, not roughening up the surface. The slick coating isn't really the issue. Sanding them is more about convincing people that you don't have chicken strips.

Rob

· Registered
360 Posts
I just rode. Never noticed much of a difference from day one. Although I did have over the "scrub in" period after about 2 riding days.

· Registered
277 Posts
Easiest safest way I used when I was a new rider was go to a large parking lot and ride in circles gradually increasing lean angle. Put your foot out like a motocrosser if you need to feel more confident. Select fairly new pavement for more traction.

Now that I have years of experience I just take my favorite twisty road at a slower pace and gradually increase lean angle till all the strips/waxie coating if gone.

· Registered
11 Posts
sand paper sound strange too me,
when i replaced my tiers (pirelli angel st) my tire insteller told me that the tire "need" some cycles of cooling and heating in order to get rid of the chemicals needed to preduce it.
just ride safly for 80 miles...

· Registered
29 Posts
Sanding your tires is a myth and most people that do it are more concerned with it appearing they have chicken strips...

How To Properly Warm Up Your Tires - Sport Rider Magazine

First off, Knoche quickly dispatched the old wives' tale that the surface of the tire needs to be scuffed or roughed up to offer grip. "Maybe it's coming from the old days when people were spraying mold release on the tread when the molds were maybe not that precise," Knoche speculates, "and the machinery was not that precise. But nowadays molds are typically coated with Teflon or other surface treatments.

· Registered
6,606 Posts
No need.

Just ride on them. They're not as scary as some people think. You can even go right to the edges of the tyres - and actually - you should.

Gentle acceleration and braking are all that's needed to be safe on them. After about 100 miles the grip is maximised - less if you scrub them in on the track.

It's actually working the rubber that matters, not roughening up the surface. The slick coating isn't really the issue. Sanding them is more about convincing people that you don't have chicken strips.

Rob
This. There is no need for sandpaper. Take it easy for the first few miles, hard barking and acceleration is the best way to get some heat into the carcass, then have at it. 100 miles is way more than necessary but it's a good, safe target.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.