Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I just got a new '06 636 and I wanted to start trying to do wheelies on it. I have read a lot of the stuff that is already on the site about doing clutch wheelies but I got a few more. When doing the clutch wheelie, weather in 1st, 2nd, 3rd or whatever when you pop the clutch do you let off the gas and wait for the front to come up and then get back on the throttle or do you just pop the clutch and keep the throttle going at the same time? Also, what is the normal rpm needed to make the front come up, say 10k??

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
pull in clutch, raise only a couple thousand rpms at first to get used to what the bike will do, pop clutch straight back out quickly. then raise rpms gradually until you get to a height where you are comfortable. good luck be careful remember wheelies are very addicting once you start doing them

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I've actually found a better way than using the clutch. I was always trying, and just stressing my hand and probably the clutch out.

then a mate taught me a new way. Gas it about 80% in first, then when the revs get to just before the sweet spot, around 8gs or so, back off then snap it on quick. Just a real quick on/off/on motion, and the front just pops straight up. My clutch wheelies were randomly ok, which isn't enough. Now I do it like this, and I'm just poppin the front up everywhere, when ever I want. Even on cold tires.. unbelievably easy..

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
power wheelies were ok for me when i was first learning, but the clutch is the way to go if you want to do decent wheelies. you can pick it up at whatever rpm or speed you want and it is much more predictable than a power wheelie.

·
Registered
373 Posts
yeah try using 1 or 2 fingers at first, i was trying to dump it with a 4 and i was doing it too slowly and going nowhere..

·
Registered
47 Posts
I agree with Noxen. The problem with me was teh amount of fingers i used. 2 fingers fixed my problem. 2nd gear problem was letting the clutch out before i had revved it up to where it needed to be. And my overall problem was letting off of the gas once it was up...lol.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I prefer the power up method vs. the clutch method and I am still learning. While you are learning, if you are practicing the clutch method, make sure that your tires are DAMN warm, otherwise you will spin out and maybe lose control. But then again, maybe I was not popping the clutch correctly.
All in all, I think power up is the best method to learn the wheelie itself, there is a lot to it and a lot to learn. You can read all of these techniques online that people post which I highly recommend, but mainly, you are going to have to figure it out on your own by practicing and learning how your bike reacts to what.
My best advice would be to keep your lower torso close to the tank so you can get the feel for how the bike is going to come up, as you get more comfortable, move your torso back to the back of the seat, like all the way back to where it is not really that comfortable and it is up against the rise to the passenger seat, that is when you will start getting the feel for the balance point, or at least that is what I am finding.

T

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.