Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody. New here. Used to ride a Aprilia 450RXv, down-graded to a DRZ 400 and now also have a 2007 Ninja 650R. Just searching out the 'clunky' gearbox issue. The bike shifts better when it's spooled up so shifting at higher RPMs is a must. But driving around town can get really annoying. I'm wondering whether oil weight has anything to do with it. A heavier oil might stick to the gears a little better and absorb some of the clunk. Or would a lighter oil flow better onto the gears once the clutch is pulled. Any thoughts?

Cheers

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
No experience with the 650 myself, but I do know when I switched to Rotella 15w-40 in my Ninja the shifting seemed alot smoother, though it was never what I would describe as "clunky" on my bike.

It's worth a shot to try a little heavier oil, as long as your bike can use it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I always use Rotella as it has the highest JASO rating for wet-clutches. I haven't seen the schematics of the insides. Can Kawasaki oil pumps handle heavier weights?

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
Thanks. I always use Rotella as it has the highest JASO rating for wet-clutches. I haven't seen the schematics of the insides. Can Kawasaki oil pumps handle heavier weights?
What oil are you using now ? If you are already using Rotella ?w-40 I don't think you will see any advantange to going to something else and a ?w-50 will likely be too viscous.

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
5-40 as I've been running it on the road since late February.
Check the owners/service manual and see if you can put a 50 in there I guess. For some reason my owners manual shows up to 20w-50 for my bike but the service manual only shows 10w-40 for my year. :confused:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dropped the oil and put some slightly lighter 15-W30 in to see if it makes a difference. None detected although the clutch seems a little more stable in neutral and doesn't seem to grab at all. Also a little quieter at higher RPMs and idling nicely. Bike has 20K miles on it so it's likely just worn gears. The temperature is high (30C) right now so I may drop and put some 20-W50 in and see how it shifts.
Cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts