Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I am new to this forum. I am having an issue with my idle speed on my 2009 ZX10r. It starts up above 1500 rpm and wants it warms up it drops just below 1000 rpm which causes it to turn off. Anyone know where I can adjust it from?

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
45,123 Posts
Sorry I'm not sure about the '09 10r buy my '05 6r has a small black knob on the left side of the bike. If you're sitting on the bike you can just reach down on the inside of your left leg. Does your bike have this knob?

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
My 2011 ZX6R is the same as prs.. on the left side. Should look something like this:

·
45,123 Posts
You can download the owners manual from Kawi's web site and the '09 10r apparently has an idle adjustment screw. The pic of it sucks but I assume it's also on the left side of the bike.

*EDIT* Yes, it's on the left side, pretty much in the same place as the 6r's knob. I can't get a screen shot of it though.

·
45,123 Posts
The knob is not on the left hand side. Is it possible that the adjustment is close to the throttle?
According to the '09 owners manual you have an adjustment screw, not a "knob" to twist. Go to Kawi's web site and download the owners manual. It shows you where it is. I'm sure it's a Philips head screw, most likely a black screw.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
The knob on my bike sticks out a few inches. It actually looks out of place. But, if you have a screw, as prs mentioned, it's going to be harder to find. However, it should still be accessible/visible without having to take anything off. The knob is basically an extension of the screw, so I would expect it would be located in the same general area.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok I think I found it. It looks just like the pic ZXX6RR provided. However, its not sticking out it is hanging down tied to another rubber pipe. Now assuming this is it, how do I now adjust the idle? It seems the knob is a bit tough to turn.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Start the bike and turn the knob, if it goes up good. if it goesdown, turn it in the other direction. Simple

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
That looks about right. If it were easy to adjust vibrations would probably throw it out of adjustment

·
45,123 Posts
This is the knob I found. However, it doesn't turn as easily as I assumed. Is there a trick to this?
That's it mate. I thought (according to the manual) it was a "screw" as found on other bikes.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I still can't get the knob to turn. How do I turn the knob without braking the hose it's on?
Thats not a hose, its a cable. Maybe you should take your bike to a shop where they have people who know how to do this stuff

1 - 20 of 20 Posts