Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

My name is Eddie, you can say I am some what of a perfectionist. I have been lurking a few forums, researching and reading, gathering as much useful information as I can. I always tend to do TONS of researching, making sure I am 100% sure about something before jumping into it.

I am set on getting the new 08 Ninja 250r (blue), I've read it's a great beginner bike and love the sporty look. I haven't gone to any dealers yet to see if they even have any in stock, still trying to save my money for a deposit. Not really interested in anything used, don't find any older model 250s as good looking as the 2008 and I don't want to have to hassle/worry with something used. I'll also be scheduling a date for the MSF course, get that out of the way.

I bought my first item off eBay. I got the Icon Strongarm denim riding jeans for $73 shipped.

Here is also a list of gear I am looking at getting and would appreciate any suggestions/opinions.

Helmet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jackets
Suggestions for Mesh or Textile? Should I only wear Leather? I live in South Florida. =X

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Boots

Pants
Suggestions for over pants? Do I need them?

Gloves
Not sure which ones I should get? Vented? I'm not going to be doing any racing or anything.

Thanks in advance! I can't wait to become an active part of the Sportbike Community.

·
Registered
189 Posts
if you are going to get your helmet off ebay or online you should go into a store and check which brand fits your head the best, and which brand you feel most comfortable in...

when i tried on a shoei helmet, it didn't feel as good as the icon or bell helmets.. it all depends on your head size/shape.

so go try on gear before you buy online

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if you are going to get your helmet off ebay or online you should go into a store and check which brand fits your head the best, and which brand you feel most comfortable in...

when i tried on a shoei helmet, it didn't feel as good as the icon or bell helmets.. it all depends on your head size/shape.

so go try on gear before you buy online
Yeah I forgot to mention that there is a big cycle shop about 2 miles down the road from me, I plan on stopping in there sometime this week and try on some gear I posted (if they have it) and I definitely want to try on some helmets.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
get vented gloves. they will breath much better, and your hands are going to sweat.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
gear

i was nervous about what gear to get too. and i didnt really know what to get. my dealer told me that scorpion was a great set if you are just out to ride. i didnt get leather but i do have to say that my scorpion jacket is great. it is warm in the cold and has a removable liner so the perferrated jacket has great air flow and its alot lighter to wear than the leather one. lol

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
Wow, that's some post. Bulleted with indents? "Perfectionist" may not cover it, :D

Good list; be sure you try on not only the helmet, but boots & gloves as well - the fit on those items is critical, and varies not only from one brand to another, but within the same brand, from model to model.

Good luck on finding an 08 250 in stock... ESPECIALLY in a the color you want. they're rarer than hen's teeth in most places and you may have to settle for a second choice color. The only way most people (including my step-daughter-inlaw-to-be) have only been able to secure one by putting a deposit (with paperwork that has a VIN) down with the dealer & nagging on a daily basis. A lot of the dealers are now saying that their entire 08 allocation is spoken for, but I don't know how accurate that is...

Before you go any further, take the MSF; some people decide that riding is not for them after they take the course, and wind up having to take a big hit on what they've already bought... not trying to dissuade you; just sayin'.

Welcome to KF & the riding community...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Welcome and This is a great place for opinions and information...

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Wow, that's some post. Bulleted with indents? "Perfectionist" may not cover it, :D
i was thinking the same thing. i might have to think about doing somthing simular instead of just typing in runon sentances. :p

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Haha, thanks everyone. I indeed WILL try on a lot of gear (especially Helmets and Gloves) before buying anything online.

I stopped by a local Kawi dealer and he confirmed they are completely out of 08 models and he said my best bet would be to search for other Kawi dealers more north and call to see if they may have anything.

I wouldn't mind waiting for the 09, I just hope the MSRP price isn't double, because the price for the 08s is awesome. I don't think I'll have the entire amount saved up, unless I get a loan, so maybe I'll see about getting a loan and then purchasing one of the 08s in my selected color on eBay or something.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update!

I went by the local bike shop and I was amazed at the inventory they had! Huge place, large selection of every type of gear and accessories.

Tried on some helmets, after trying on a few sizes I found the Small to fit the best. Didn't get a chance to try on any leathers but I did end up purchasing a pair of Alpinestars SMX air carbon leather gloves for $60. Gloves feel great, plenty of ventilation and carbon fiber knuckle protection.

I'll be going back next week and see what kind of deal I can get on the Helmet and the Alpinestars SMX boots. Decent experience, at first he thought I was internet shopping and thought I would be wasting his time, but overall he was very helpful and knowledgable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts