Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I've been lurking on your site for the past few days and figured I should comeout and say something. Currently I ride an 03 ninja 250 that i bought in may. I plan on upgrading to a 636 this spring. I've gotten a lot of good information off this site so far, and had some questions for you all as well.

What is the general consensus on extended warranties? I bought one for my current bike, mainly to help me sell it when the time comes. Also I knew I wouldn't be doing much modification to this bike so warranty work being denied shouldn't be a problem. When the time comes I am considering not getting any sort of extended warranty. I know car manufacturers like to deny warranty coverages for something as simple as a CAI or any kind of exhaust modification. I would hate to install a slipon on my new 636 and have my engine warranty canceled.

Also, has anyone ridden both the zx6r and the zx6rr? I am curious how different the two bikes feel. Does the 6rr just have better handling or more power? Is the seating position any more aggressive than the 6r? I've read up on how they are different according to kawasaki's website, but I was curious to how it feels once the bikes are on the street.

Finally, what did you all pay OTD for your 636s? Just curious how it goes at a bike dealership when you offer slightly less than MSRP for the bike.

Thanks for the info, I look forward to posting here about my new 636 when I finally get one! :)

·
Registered
755 Posts
I've found that extended warranties are not worth the cost. Bikes now a days are pretty reliable and won't cause a lot of trouble (enought to warrant the large cost of an extended warranty).

The zx6rr has less power than the 636, same riding position (rake, trail, wheelbase, ergonomics, etc.). The rr has about 5-7 less horespower than the 636, but comes with stuff some street riders wouldn't need a whole lot like an adjustable swingarm pivot, slipper clutch, and different pistons. If you are going to be riding on the street or track days, and don't feel the need to conform to superstock rules, than you would probably enjoy the 636 more.

For an '03 636 you should pay $7500 - $7750 OTD, or on an '04 $8,250 - $8,500, of course some will cut you a deal and get you out for less.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I can't comment on the MSRP for the new 2004's, but I bought a leftover 2002 recently from a dealer, and paid $3k (Canadian) under MSRP.

So that's about a savings of 3 U.S. dollars. [:eek:)]

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Hynotoad, you paid 7400 for your bike then? If so that's a smokin deal. There were no left over 03's in Edmonton.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
too bad, I thought you got an amazing deal. I bought mine for for about $700 less in March than if I had waited until summer. The 636 was a popular bike in these parts, even though I've only seen two others. If you know someone that wants a ZX6RR or a Honda 600RR there still seem to be many in the dealers showrooms.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Check the specks on the 04 ZX6RR! Kawi made a lot of changes to the new bike '04 6RR. The did the dual fuel injection thing, and did some other stuff. I guess they are trying to be more competative in supersport. The 636 is identical to the '03, but the colors change no more red and black. I got a red one! Orange and mean green are the new colors along with silver and blue. If I were going to get 6RR I would get the 04 over an 03...

Craig

·
Registered
207 Posts
welcome to the site brett! good choice on the 250 to start out. I went that same route and actually made money selling my 250 then got the 636. Wow, what a difference going from the 250 to the 6r. I'd say for your needs, get the 636 and prolly try to get a leftover 03 since there isn't really any upgrades, unless you love that new orange color as much as I do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.