Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone!
My name is Andrew and i am new to the forum. I am a 19 year old college student and am currently looking to purchase my first bike but I have a very small budget (around $500). I am really just looking for an old 250 that runs well and will last me a couple seasons for me to learn on and get comfortable on a bike until i can afford to get a bigger one. Hoping that you guys might be able to help me out or give me a few tips on what to look for. Thanks!

·
Strat - the Asian edition
13,060 Posts
:welcome:

...you won't be able to find a bike for $500. Even the old Ninja250

I'm afraid to ask, but what's your budget for gear, let alone insurance, and other ancillary expenses?

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
With that budget, look for something like an old CG125. Dead reliable and plenty capable of getting you around, but be preapared to do a lot of work on it yourself.

You'll need at least three or four hundred dollars for minimal basic gear - even on a CG you need helmets boots and gloves, but you'll get away with a jacket that gives abrasion protection, although if you can stretch to one with impact armour, you should.

Do't even think about a second hand helmet and expect to pay around $120 as an absolute minimum.

Good luck.

Rob

Rob

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for all of your feedback!
And actually my budget for the bike is so low right now because i know that i will need around $1000 for everything i'll need for the bike. But i have found a few bikes in my price range but I am not sure how much work they may actually need. I haven't looked at it in person, but this bike that I found is definitely the right price, I just don't know if the issues it has are really worth the trouble.
1991 Kawy Ninja 600
Thanks again for all of your feedback!

·
13,060 Posts
Unless you considerable mechanical experience, I would highly advise against any bike that cheap.

Is this for fun? If so, I'm going to say hold off.
If you don't have enough money, then you don't have enough money.

·
13,060 Posts
BTW not sure if you counted registration, plate fee, taxes, etc

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
That '91 600 looks like it needs engine work. Can you rebuild an engine? An older 600 might also be a heavy bike to learn on.

If it were me, I would spend the $500 on a helmet and MSF course. Then, you'll know how to ride properly and it might help you better determine what you want for a first bike (same or bigger than what's used in the course). Many places that offer courses also sell their bikes at heavily discounted prices.

All in all, I'd save up more money to buy something that actually works.

Good luck and ride safe!

·
13,060 Posts
Not to mention, you should have your deductible stashed away. You might very well have to use it, knock on wood.

A good rule of thumb I've found is to anticipate that something will cost anywhere from 1.5 to 2x the face cost. It's generally correct.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts