Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 zx10
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello this is my second motorcycle and my first one is a shadow 600. I fixed that one up bobber stlye. After finishing up that one i seen my new project which is a 04 zx10. I now realized that i might be over my head. I new this was going to be a project and dont really know where to start. Im waiting on the person that i bought it from to send the key. It sat outside for 3 yrs he claims but according to the plates it hasnt been registered since 2017 and because of the rust hole in the tank. I can stick my hand all the way in. Well i been trying to wait for the key but i am so impatient. Lol. I tried hot wiring it but of course it didnt fire. It cranked over but nothing. The fi light came on. Anyways it seems to me that theres probably something to do with the ignition so i haven't checked anything else until i get the key. I guess thats on of my questions. Does the 2004 zx10 have something to stop it from being hardwired or should i say hot wired? And is there any advise on where to start trouble shooting? Thanks in advance and look forward to hearing some feed back

·
Registered
648 Posts
Welcome to the Forum.
You have as you say purchased a whole other Animal compared to the 600 Shadow.
It looks like it's probably sat for closer to 5 Years not the 3 he stated although time does get away from us quick Like o_O
I suggest you wait for the key before giving yourself more work.
Have you got the Factory Service Manual ? You'll need a copy moving forward on this project....

·
Registered
2004 zx10
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the welcomes.
My progress is moving very slow due to buget. What ive done to it im worried that i may have already ruined it. I hooked up a battery to it and tried cranking it. I did this a few times and then i noticed that the oil turned a brownish color. So now Im going to try a engine flush and hope that it works. As far as the key it was never found by previous owner. So im not sure if this bike has the immobilizer on it so i may have to go the ecu and ignition route especially because i was impatient and busted the ignition. I know that its a very touchy subject so if anyone knows a number that i can call to obtain this info it would be very appreciated. However i think i may not have one because i do have spark but it would be nice to comfirm it. Also i found a 2008 zx10 tank and i hope its compatible with mine. Im worried because the original tank has an extra hose line going to it but one was plugged off. And im currently looking for a fuel pump assembly unit. And besides cleaning it thats all thats been done to it. So any advice would be awesome. Thanks in adv

1 - 7 of 7 Posts