Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a 2010 Kawasaki z1000 from a friend who told me the clutch is going out. Now i have ridden this bike a few times for a day or so at a time so I know the bike is solid. So I go to pick up the bike and the clutch is barely engaging to give the bike any power. I barely make it across town and when I get off and get back on to try and get it to my house..
I start the bike
Pull clutch lever
Drop into first (N) green light goes off
At this point if I were to release the clutch lever without any throttle the motorcycle should cut off. It doesn't. It just keeps idling... the engine sounds great, I can shift through all gears ⚙ but the clutch is just ruined I guess. So I ordered some parts online I hope my mechanic can fix it. Any suggestions are welcome 🙏
Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive lighting

·
41,008 Posts
Make sure you are using motorcycle specific motor oil (formulated for wet clutches). Using regular motor oil will ruin your clutch fibers.

·
41,008 Posts
Also, you may need new steels but you won't know that until you take the clutch apart. If they're blued, I would suggest replacement.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also, you may need new steels but you won't know that until you take the clutch apart. If they're blued, I would suggest replacement.

I'm having problems finding the steels, if they are blued will they still work until I can find the new ones and get them replaced?

·
41,008 Posts
They may be fine. If they're blued, it's an indication that they've taken a lot of heat. Too much heat and they can warp but it's not automatic. You can use a mirror or piece of glass to see if they're warped. Put them flat on the glass one at a time and if they rock back & forth, they're warped. Flip them over and check both sides.

If they're warped, there's a good chance they'll toast your new clutch discs.

·
41,008 Posts
Again, don't order them until you inspect yours and make sure they're needed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No problem.
So the clutch steels are bad, I can get them over night but the bike is at the shop and the mechanic told me he didn't count the number of steels. I hope you guys know the answer and any help would be greatly appreciated because they sell them in singles ao i could order 8 or 9 but id like to be sure🙏

·
41,008 Posts
So the clutch steels are bad, I can get them over night but the bike is at the shop and the mechanic told me he didn't count the number of steels. I hope you guys know the answer and any help would be greatly appreciated because they sell them in singles ao i could order 8 or 9 but id like to be sure🙏
I can't answer this specifically but there will be one between each fiber disc. I'm not sure if there is one on either end, but I don't think so. I'm not positive on that. Did he throw them out and the trash has been picked up? Why can't he still count them?

Also, you'll need to check with someone more knowledgeable in this model than I am, but looking at the parts list for the clutch assembly, I see three different part numbers for the steels. There is a 2.x identifier on each of them and I'm thinking this might the thickness of the steels in mm...but I could be wrong. You might want to ask your mechanic to measure the thickness with a dial caliper. Then again, if he pitched the steels and has no idea how many there are/were, you might want to find a different mechanic. Just saying.

If they're gone, and it was my bike, I'd order all of them in the middle of the range.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Partzilla and revzilla have your bikes parts diagram .U can go on their site , type in your bike look at it count them .Also when you look at part# , it says how many.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts