Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a new Kawasaki Vulcan S for my wife. Having problem with downshifting from 3rd to 1st. Will shift if pushed or double taped hard. Upshifting seems not to be a problem. Linkage is not too tight. Could this be a problem w/ the internals of the transmission and what if so ?

HR...

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
Doubtful, likely it's just a little tough to shift. Make sure your clutch is correctly adjusted, and you're pulling the lever all the way back. You need a single firm press on the shift lever to drop it a gear from 1st into 2nd....

hold on a second, are you trying to skip second gear?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ide just couldn't downshift easily the last few gears. The clutch lever is set w/ max pull. My 07 650R I ride has never had any shifting difficulties in 60K miles. I can downshift from 6th to 1st no problem. I'm thinking on the Vulcan the additional linkage could cause lack of force on the shaft, but if that was common, that would have been an issue on the bikes reviews and wasn't.

HR....

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
Are you trying to do it while stopped? Or are you moving and rev matching? Or at the very least slowing down and clicking through the gears with the clutch in?

What do you mean by "max pull"?

·
Registered
6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have same problem, up no issues, but kicking down coming into junction is tricky.

Im bringing it up with kawasaki colchester when i take it in for its 500 mile service, it should not be that hard.

Sometimes i push down hard with clutch in and nothing happens.

·
Registered
1 Posts
gearing down partial recall

Kawasaki has issued a partial recall of the 650 Vulcan S due to a faulty spring. This prevents gearing down from 3 to 1 which poses a safety concerns. I've realised the problem after only doing 20 kms. Bike has done 98 kms with problem getting worse hence I returned the bike to find out that there is a partial recall. My concern is that there should be better communication as this is a safety concern.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Kawasaki has issued a partial recall of the 650 Vulcan S due to a faulty spring. This prevents gearing down from 3 to 1 which poses a safety concerns. I've realised the problem after only doing 20 kms. Bike has done 98 kms with problem getting worse hence I returned the bike to find out that there is a partial recall. My concern is that there should be better communication as this is a safety concern.
I totally agree and experience the same problem. Could you supply specifics as to the recall as my dealer cannot find Kawasaki's recall.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem but mine is up shifting -- 1 to 2 etc. Its in the shop now -- they seem to think it is a spring??? Mine only has 1500 miles on it ---- I am not a happy camper!!!!!!!!! Mine was so hard to shift that I have a bruise on the top of my foot ---

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought a new Kawasaki Vulcan S for my wife. Having problem with downshifting from 3rd to 1st. Will shift if pushed or double taped hard. Upshifting seems not to be a problem. Linkage is not too tight. Could this be a problem w/ the internals of the transmission and what if so ?

HR...
i seem to have the same problem as you can you, tell me what you did to fix it or if i am just down shiting wrong, so my problem is some times when i down shift from 3rd to 2nd with the clutch in i will push the shift lever down and it will go down but will not endup shifting gears it also does this sometimes when i shift from 2nd to first.

i have a 2018 vulcan 650 s
and this is my first bike i bought it last week.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2018 as well (Cafe version). If downshifting while riding, it downshifts fine.

If I hold in the clutch while coming to a stop and cycle down the gears, shifter will go down, but not register one of the gear changes. I then have to press the shifter again for it to realize the downshift.

Scenario example:
1) Riding on highway, coming to a roundabout, shifting down from 6 to 5, then 5 to 4, then 4 to 3, (as I have to lower my speed for the roundabout), it all downshifts fine.
2) Riding on highway, coming to a stop, as bike is about to stop I cycle down all the gears to get to 1 or 2, it will not register one of the downshifts.

Seems to be related to where the RPMs are at while downshifting. RPMS above 2500rpm while downshifting will properly downshift. RPMs around 1200 RPM (which is basically idle rpm due to holding in clutch lever) and it will mis a shift. Then I have to press down on the shifter again for it to shift.

Reactions: Tyler2977
1 - 12 of 12 Posts