Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the law in New York if you get pulled over in with just your learners permit? can they take away your bike?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
That's what the permit is for, right? To ride and learn. There are restrictions that differs from state to state. Here in MA with permit you CAN'T: ride when dark, ride with passenger and go out of state.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I believe you have to be riding within so many feet of a licensed rider. Whether they take your bike away or not I dont really know.... if you can have someone come pick it up or ride it home they maybe willing to work with you.

·
Registered
443 Posts
ouch. what if you want to learn how to ride but have no friends? in hawaii you cant ride at night, 2 up and i believe you have to wear a helmet.

im not sure about over there but if you get busted here for no paper/license/insurance/etc. they usually ticket you and tell you if they see you again they'll impound the bike.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ok for all of you lazy asses, straight from the nydmv website...

"Motorcycle Permit Supervision, Restrictions and Practice: If you drive a motorcycle with a permit, a driver who is 21 years or age or older and who has a valid motorcycle license from NYS or another state must supervise you. The motorcycle driver who supervises you must remain within 1/4 mile of you at all times. To learn about all the restrictions for learner permits and Class MJ driver licenses, see the DMV brochure, Learner Permits and Junior Licenses."

MOTORCYCLISTS AND MOPED OPERATORS

The restrictions in this publication also apply to operating a motorcycle or moped. Your learner permit or limited-use license (Class M or MJ, or Limited Class MJ) does not allow you to carry any passenger except your accompanying supervising driver. In addition, your accompanying driver must have a driver license valid for operating the same class motorcycle or moped you are driving, and must exercise general supervision and control of your driving by remaining within one-quarter mile. It is strongly recommended that your accompanying driver keep you in sight at all times.

·
Registered
84 Posts
He didn't ask what the law is... He asked what the penalty for breaking the law is... I doubt they could take the bike away, I think its just a fine, Driving out of class or something.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I realize that he wasnt asking what the law was but it didnt seem like he was aware of what it was either... if he did i apologize. The worst they are prob gonna do is tow it if you cant get it home some other way.

·
Registered
244 Posts
They can write you up for not having an endoresment. And might tow the bike away, depending of the LEO.

The problem is that, if you get convicted. I believe that your Permit will be taken away for a year.

·
Powerhungry
38,157 Posts
what is the point of offering a permit then?
we used to have that law here, of having a licensed rider with you.
stupidest thing ive ever heard.
when i started riding, i didnt know ANYONE else that rode. id have been screwed.
as long as u abide by the restrictions given on the permit, they cant do anything. (shouldnt be able to rather) a prick cop will do whatever he wants.

·
Registered
474 Posts
At least they offer a permit... In most states you get your permit after taking the written and your license after the road course... When I was in VA, I took the written, went back in line to get my permit and they said they dont have any such thing... WTF??? Naturally my next question was "Well how am I supposed to learn how to ride?" and their response was block off the end of my street (doesnt even sound legal), or practice in a parking lot...

That was 10 years ago... Hope things have changed since then...

·
Registered
185 Posts
You can't ride after dark, can't ride 2 up, must have a licensed rider on a bike w/ in a mile or so... the exact distance i'm not certain. So, yes they should tow ur bike if your riding poorly enough to get pulled over.

·
Registered
130 Posts
In response to nerijusj, in MA you can ride out of state, however that state must accept you MA learner's permit. I had to look this up because I work in NH. Didn't want to find out the hard way what would happen.[:p]

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Yes, they can take your bike. You are riding out of class, and they don't have to legally let you continue to ride out of class even though you might swear to them you are going to go straight home. A big part of it depends on the cop, and a lot more of it depends on your attitude. I got pulled over once, told the cop I didn't have a motorcycle license and he asked for my drivers license and let me go. He was just pulling me over to check my stuff, I didn't do anything wrong.

My friend had his bike towed for having a permit, but he was speeding at the same time doing 74 in a 55, and the cop was one that is notorious for holding grudges against sport riders.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Originally posted by yellosuzku
In response to nerijusj, in MA you can ride out of state, however that state must accept you MA learner's permit. I had to look this up because I work in NH. Didn't want to find out the hard way what would happen.[:p]
You right. I was too lazy to type all that stuff :) So does NH state allow to ride with MA permit? I did so many trips last year with my permit and never knew for sure if they allow out of state permits.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.