Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know why they tell us to put the oil filter on hand tight and then they go at the factory and install it at 2000' pounds per square inch. Now I spent almost $12000 on a new motorcycle, my 3rd ninja, and yet again I can't remove the oil filter. I am thinking about taking it back and telling them that they tightened it, they need to loosen it. Either way I am going to call Kawasaki customer service and complain. And now it's Labor Day again and I don't get to ride my bike. I am starting to hate Kawasaki.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I assume your using the Kawasaki Oil Filter Removal Tool 57001-1249 ??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
No. I have a similar one that I tried and it just spins on it. I just bought a $16 oil filter Channel lock type wrench and it will not fit in there. I tied a strap wrench. I think I'm going to take it to the dealer and have them crack it loose for me. They are so nice and honest. I still am going to call up Kawasaki and complain. They just ruined my Labor Day weekend straight up.

·
Registered
424 Posts
The fact you've experienced this issue on more than one bike suggests your Tool is Fukin Useless.
The Dealer will use the Kawasaki Tool without issue on an unmolested Filter.
You do know there is a dirty way of removing an oil filter with the use of an old screwdriver, I'm surprised you let that little canister ruin your Weekend....Odd :(

·
Registered
89 Posts
It's not just Kawasaki. Used to tech for all the big 4 and most were like that. We used quality filter wrenches to avoid rounding the filter head but sometimes you can't avoid it. Sometimes you just have to hammer and screwdriver it.

·
Registered
2013 Ninja 650R
16 Posts
It's coming off; no worrying about making a mess and destroying the filter. You can control the torque of the one replacing it and that's the one to worry about (for tomorrow). Screwdriver would get you rolling for a lot less time than taking it back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts