Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all - I've been lurking for a few days trying to get all my newbie questions answered. You've got a great forum here :)! I just traded in my 01 Yamaha FZ1 for a 2003 blue ZX-6R. The FZ1 was a great bike. I bought it initially as a sport/tourer and slowly transformed it to more of a "sport" bike (higher pegs, lower bars, etc). I started doing track days this year (5 of them) and really felt the limits of the FZ1 (extra 100 lbs and hard parts dragging on both sides).

I went into the dealer last week and decided to trade in the FZ1. It came down to a choice between a 2001 CBR 929 Erion Racing Edition and the ZX-6R (new). I was able to demo the 929 and it was a great bike (power about the same as the FZ1), but something about the ZX-6R really caught my eye and I ended up going that way. I put my priorities in order and the track came out on top - and I don't think you can find a better trackbike than the new ZX-6R.

I've got almost 400 miles on it now (in 45 degree weather!), and I must say - this thing is awesome! You don't even have to turn it - you just think about where you want to go and voila! I sure don't miss the 512 lbs the FZ1 had to offer. I do miss the nice seating position - but only when I'm not in the twisties - and my 6'2" 210 lb body has adapted nicely to the ZX-6R position.

I've read up about noises, and the kawasaki engine is much louder than the FZ1's (even w/ Yosh exhaust). I've got a sound like a vacuum leak (or a lifter type click that sounds more airy if you know what I mean) that I'm not to thrilled with, but the bike doesn't seem like it's down on power by any means. I'll probably stop by the dealer to have them listed and tell me if it's normal though.

Already ordered sato frame sliders, spools, and a service manual. I want to do something w/ the undertail/stock signals - but that'll have to wait until I pay this thing off!

Anyway, thanks for having a great forum and I hope to contribute in the future. I'm located in Urbana, IL (chemistry grad student) but I have a trailer and I travel to N. KY or Indiana just to ride quite often.

Check out my last trackday on the FZ1 at Putnam Park, IN right here ---> http://www.scs.uiuc.edu/~jimontgo/putnambig.wmv
It's a 25 mb file so don't click if you're on dialup! Probably best to right click and choose save as. Tell me what you think!

RidgeRider has attached this file: kaw1.jpg

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
forgot this
41_fire has attached this file: under_tail__12.JPG
41_fire has attached this file: huger_3__12.JPG

hope I grave you some good ideas. and good luck

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys! I made myself an undertail today (aluminum angle iron + LP short stalks). Looks a lot better than the stock mud flap!

41_fire - your bike looks great. I'm going to stick w/ the stock exhaust for awhile since my wife is already on my case about getting the new bike. I don't think you gain much HP over stock w/ just a slip-on anyway. Maybe a full system when it becomes a dedicated race bike [}:)]. I really like your undertail/painted hugger though. Any plans for those front turn signals? I'd like a cheaper alternative than the Gregg's flushmounts.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
it a hindle full system. and I have signals on the way. They are on back order. will post picks when they are mounted

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.