Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be able to get a really good deal on a 2009 zx6 with less than 1000 miles on it but im a little hesitant to buy it because of the problems Ive heard this bike has. mainly the 10k surge problem, i planned on getting a pc or bazzaz anyway so this isnt too big of a concern for me but are there any other problems that the 09-11 zx6 has that I should know about?

·
Registered
67 Posts
This bike has no more issues than any other supersport. I too bought an 09 zx6r with 1000 miles on it, and have experienced no issues thus far. AMAZING BIKE. Oh also have not experienced the 10k surge problem.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Yeah I don't have the 10k surge problem either. What other "problems" have you heard of?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I may be able to get a really good deal on a 2009 zx6 with less than 1000 miles on it but im a little hesitant to buy it because of the problems Ive heard this bike has. mainly the 10k surge problem, i planned on getting a pc or bazzaz anyway so this isnt too big of a concern for me but are there any other problems that the 09-11 zx6 has that I should know about?
what are these issues you speak of? the 10k surge is real, but is fixed with a PCV.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've heard about electrical problems and also numerous recalls. Would I have to get a pcv wouldn't a pciii or bazzaz be good enough?

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
Most issues you hear are from a very small percentage of owners. There are 10's of thousands of owners that never post on this forum to tell us their bike is running great.

Don't worry about it and buy it, bikes these days are awesome!!

Just do your normal used bike inspection, but I wouldn't worry too much about any issues with the 09 ZX6R

:)

·
Registered
26 Posts
You'll be fine. Mine has been super reliable, and I've put just over 10,000 miles on it so far.
I never had the 10k surge problem either.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Only issues i've ever had with mine was the rectifier crapping out which is the electrical issues you speak of. I've got 16k on her and loved every minute.

Never had any issues with a surge at 10k

·
Registered
313 Posts
this bike has been a serious let down and i wish i hadnt bought it. radiator hose, voltage rectifier, ecu (surging issue) all problems that presented themselves within the first couple weeks of ownership. but i use bikes hard. if you're looking for something pretty to cruise around town then yeah, this bike is (to the eye) sexy as hell...but if you want to do track time/carve canyons with it I'd look elsewhere. my girlfriend has an 07 cbr600rr that flat out beats the 6r in every way, shape and form. my 05 zx-10r that i had before this was rock solid perfect mechanically. ive tried to like the 6r...i really have...ive bought many sportbikes over the course of the last 20 years and spend a great deal of time carving up mountain roads and doing track days...knowing what i know now, i would have either stayed with the 10 or bought a 600rr...i wouldn't recommend this bike to anyone who flogs their bikes and expects them to perform.

and as far as the surging, half of the owners who answered the poll said they were experiencing it (view it here)...ive nearly wrecked several times with knee to the tarmac because of it...

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
this bike has been a serious let down and i wish i hadnt bought it. radiator hose, voltage rectifier, ecu (surging issue) all problems that presented themselves within the first couple weeks of ownership. but i use bikes hard. if you're looking for something pretty to cruise around town then yeah, this bike is (to the eye) sexy as hell...but if you want to do track time/carve canyons with it I'd look elsewhere. my girlfriend has an 07 cbr600rr that flat out beats the 6r in every way, shape and form. my 05 zx-10r that i had before this was rock solid perfect mechanically. ive tried to like the 6r...i really have...ive bought many sportbikes over the course of the last 20 years and spend a great deal of time carving up mountain roads and doing track days...knowing what i know now, i would have either stayed with the 10 or bought a 600rr...i wouldn't recommend this bike to anyone who flogs their bikes and expects them to perform.

and as far as the surging, half of the owners who answered the poll said they were experiencing it (view it here)...ive nearly wrecked several times with knee to the tarmac because of it...
Just wondering, did you buy your bike new or used??

:confused:

·
Registered
313 Posts
dont assume that you know why or how ive judged this bike. if i were to do the same, id say something like 'youre just one of those guys who happens to think whatever bike he owns at the time is the best thing on the market'. but i dont presume to think i know what is going on in other peoples heads...

no...i judge this bike not only by the fact that ive had issues with it, but by the fact that many other owners have had the same problems that ive come across...which means that there are inherent production defects with the 6r. the bike has problems. ive ridden other zx-6r's that exhibit the same issues as mine. my shops manager, the factory tech that came and serviced my bike and the head of consumer relations at kawi himself have told me in one way or another that there are known issues with the 6r. ive been on motorbikes for 35+ years and most of my sport bikes (street and track) have been kawasakis...and ive never had issues like this with a bike in my life. i dropped from a liter bike to the 6r after riding my girlfriends 600rr at deals gap because i was floored with what a great ride it was and i figured that all modern 600 class bikes would have the same level of precision, power and refinement. i was wrong. id take the 600rr any day and twice on sunday over my 6r...the ONLY thing that the 600rr is lacking that the 6r offers is a slipper clutch...

·
Registered
995 Posts
Recalls? I had no idea there had been any?
I love mine and the only issue I've noticed is the 10k surge which I don't find all that bothersome anymore. Hopefully no other issues will crop up.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts

You admit you ride your bikes hard. Does that include mistreating them, missing any maintenance, or anything that could contribute to the issues you were having? Or were you good at doing all the necessary maintenance when it was due? Did you perhaps not break it in properly?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts