Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all. i've always had a thing for bikes but until now i really haven't take it seriously. i've been all about the cars and import scene but i mean come on , a bike is a bike = ]. i just wanted to ask some things around such as
A) legal age to operate a motorcycle in the states?
B) how much horsepower does the zx-6r and how fast does it run the 1/4?
C) overall rating compared to yamaha yzf-r6?
D) affordable by a not very high paying job?

thank you for the replies and answers. (all opinions welcomed!)

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I hate to be the first to say this, but after reading your questions, I'd say you're a squid or squid-in-the-making.

1)I'm guessing that you live in Colorado since that's what your profile says. Don't you know what the age limit is for obtaining a motorcycle license in Colorado? I have no idea, since I don't live there.

2)What does it matter how fast it goes in the 1/4 mile? The bike doesn't make the rider fast, the rider makes the bike fast. How much horsepower? Depends on a number of factors including break-in, modifications, elevation, rider weight, and so on.

3)An 03 Ninja compared to an 03 R6 is like comparing oranges to oranges. ALL of the newer 600's are pretty darned close as far as performance is concerned.

4)If you don't mind making payments, sure, why not?

Sorry if I sound like a dick, not trying to make you mad or anything;)
Welcome to the board by the way!

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I worked part time at the local supermarket and was still able to pay the insurance and bike payments. Yeah, they rape you on the interest, but if you want a bike now it works. It was only about $250/month including insurance.

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
Originally posted by TommyV
I hate to be the first to say this, but after reading your questions, I'd say you're a squid or squid-in-the-making.
I would have to agree. But welcome to the board. Hopefully the people here can steer you in the right direction. Instead of thinking about how fast your 6 will do the 1/4 mile you'll be thinking how to make it down that 1/4 mile safely.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
hes not a squid just wants to know what hes getting into. squid is used too loosely, by IMO other squids.
1. i believe 17 is the legal age to have apermit in TEXAS.
2. al depends on what year and mods you have. i say the 1/4 in 12.0+ with minimal prcatice.
3. almost all newer 600 are the same. its up to comfort and styling you like.
4. its affordable if you buy used and know how to spend money. if you make minimum you can make it, but not like the bling, bling you saw in biker boyz.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ho hum, no problem on your initial reaction to my post tommyV. i woulda prolly done the same on a car forum. ne way thx for the replies everyone, it gives me a general idea of what the 'bike' is all about. say ninjarider, you said 250/month including the insurance...how much of that 250 was the insurance compared to the actual bike payments?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Originally posted by kpst0utz
ho hum, no problem on your initial reaction to my post tommyV. i woulda prolly done the same on a car forum. ne way thx for the replies everyone, it gives me a general idea of what the 'bike' is all about. say ninjarider, you said 250/month including the insurance...how much of that 250 was the insurance compared to the actual bike payments?
Again, not trying to piss you off here.

Good points made TommyV.
Think about it, your 15 (or at least that's what your profile says). Call an insurance company, tell them your 16 and see what they would charge you. NinjaRider might be an exception to the rule (no offense NR). Your insurance alone would probably run that...Anyway, you have alot of investigating to do before you purchase. Good luck and let us know:D. Oh, welcome to the board;).

·
Registered
586 Posts
Well lets see new guy I also live in Aurora CO. I just bought a 04 636 I pay 140 a month for the payment however its 340 a month for full coverage in Colo. Atleast for me and I have never had a traffic violation. The age to have a license in CO is to the best of my knowledge 18. On my 01 ZX6R which I still have I paid cash for so I dont know about payments. and since it wasnt financed I could go from 35 a month for insurance just to be legal to what I was paying 200 a month for full coverage. Obviously you see a newer bike is more expensive to insure. Welcome to the board and good luck on the bike. by the way I also have taken the MSF course which helps me save a little bit on insurance.;)

·
Registered
586 Posts
oh yes to answer the other question my 01 ran 12.41 at 112MPH at bandimere. I have a full system Akropovic Evolution system the horsepower was dynoed at 102.9 rear wheel hp. keep in mind our bikes dont run as good up here a at the elevation we live in as it would at see level, by the way the bike was stock when I ran it in the quarter-should be faster now. By the way if you are interested I could sell u my 01 let me know if interested.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.