Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How should i ride my bike if i get cought in the rain?
Any tips and techniques...

thanks

·
Registered
298 Posts
In addition to what TechT said, I would emphasize the word SMOOTH. Gentle & smooth inputs (whether they be the throttle, brakes, leaning, shifting your weight, etc.). Also, I think it's fair to say that you have to watch out for cagers even more. I've noticed there are two types of car drivers in the rain: one kind that drives so friggin slow you'd think it's snowing and not raining; and the other kind that thinks they can make up for the slow drivers by going even faster than when it's dry out.

Be extra vigilant & careful.

inca jones

edit: Also worth mentioning: things like manhole covers, steel construction plates, sewer drains are as slippery as ICE when they're wet. Be VERY careful when you see these coming up ahead. Treat them as if they're patches of ice. That is, if you cannot avoid them, try to be as straight (not leaned over) as possible. Honestly, if you ever go over a wet metal plate/cover in a turn, there isn't much you can do except brace yourself for a fall. Hopefully, no civil engineer or construction crew will be careless enough to put on in a turn.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Yeah, all good advice, and add this: don't panic... trust your bike. Even in the rain, it likely handles better than you give it credit for. Just keep in mind you need to be smooth and steady, but don't be rigid and tense. Good tires are a nice bonus too when the road gets slick. I got caught out in a SNOWFALL a few years ago in December (don't ask - was nice when we left), and as long as you're smooth and don't make sudden panic movements, your bike isn't going to let you down.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
and if you get into trouble stay mobile on the bike, don't just sit in the seat like a dead fish...you know like the dirt bike guys do...

i actually find it kinda fun riding in the rain sometimes, I can slide the rear end out in more of a controlled fashion than I could ever in the dry...

·
Registered
179 Posts
rains sucks when you are on a bike. On monday I went to see T3 and when I came out of the theather it was raining. Middle of summertime in california and the weather is acting stupid. Anyways I almost lost my registration and insurance papers, I left the cowl unlocked and I felt it when it was coming off so I pulled over to the side of the road, raining and soaked, and I was able to lock it up good. Just thought I share this story, I made it home safe as well. I trusted my baby to take care of me while riding in the rain.:D

·
Registered
56 Posts
a few weeks back me and some friends went on a nice ride and got to our destination and it started to rain, found out through some phone calls we were in a tropical storm, and I had never ridden in the rain but as long as you have good tires (with tread) and don't make sudden changes which you really shouldn't be doing anyway, you should be smooth all the time then you'll be fine. an important thing to remember is to go slow enough where you can see whats in front of you, we had the idea of putting rain-x on our visor but couldn't find a place with it so I haven't done it so I don't know if it'll work but in theory it should cause that stuff works great on a car. and if you know you're gonna ride in the rain get some rain gear, being wet while riding is ok but you get off the bike and realize you're soaked and it sucks.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
From what I hear, it's not a good idea to put rain-X on your visor as the chemicals may react and degrade the visor which can blur or hinder your vision.

On a side note, my relatives ride motorcycles/scooters year round. Even when it rains, they continue to ride. I ask what they do when they get wet, they simply reply: We dry off! But then again they ride in India, where (what seems like) 85% of the vehicles on the roads motorcycles, mopeds and scooters and they (usually) never worry about a Soccer mom in the suburban on her cell phone late to piano practice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.