Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!!

I'm 26 and my car has been paid off for a while and for the past 2 years I've been looking at getting a bike. I was looking into the 250, cause I've read all over here it's a great beginners bike. I've been on the back of a bike but never the driver so I am nervous but I do love the feeling of riding. I would be of course doing the MSF course, I want to be as smart as possible.

Also curious about lowering a bike... I've read so pros and cons.. I'm about 5.4 athletic build but my legs are short and I just want to be sure I have full control. So what do you guys think?

Any other tips or advice.. I'm in the Vegas area also. Thank you!

Tori

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Welcome to KF, Tori. :Hello:

Definitely do the MSF course! :thumbup:

The 250r is a great bike for anyone, regardless of their experience level. Aside from being seriously economical (65 mpg!) they are ridiculously fun to ride! :D

And to answer your question, I'm 5'4" and have no problem getting both feet flat on the ground on my 250. No lowering required. :cool:

·
Registered
4 Posts
You need to ask yourself what kind of riding you are going to be doing. If you are just going to be commuting, riding around town, and short trips. Then a 250 sport bike would be perfect, however if you think you might join a riding club that rides 150-200 miles at a clip then I would suggest looking at a 500cc to 600cc cruiser style. my daughter is 21 and I just bought her a 2008 Kawi Vulcan 500. I was going to go the route of the 250 then she told me when she feels really comfortable she will be riding longer distances. The best advice I can give you is whatever type of riding you are going to be doing start small, under 650 cruiser style or 250 sport, till you get really comfortable with how a motorcycle feels then graduate up to something larger. I started with a 1983 Suzuki GS650GL and now I have a 2010 Kawi ZG1400. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, it would be short riding around town and commuting to work. Not for long road trips! Thanks for the tips, something I never thought too much about. :)

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Ninja 250 will be perfect for you.
@ 5' 4" short :) you won't need to lower the bike...IMO
this

im also 5'4" 28" inseam measured from crotch to ankle
and i can half foot both feet on the 250 or flat foot one side no problem

should be easier for you since your crotch is flush, unlike us males ;)

have fun and try not to get roasted in that vegas heat
you->:violent:<-sun

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
I'm 5'10", 210 lbs and I can bend my knees with both feet flat on a 250.....wait....not helping. :wink:

Welcome to the forum. :thumbup:

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
Thanks guys for the welcome and the funny comments! haha I think i may use that "I have a flush crotch":D
LOL. You ain't seen nothin' yet, my dear. Kawiforums is full of characters.

·
Powerhungry
38,210 Posts
You need to ask yourself what kind of riding you are going to be doing. If you are just going to be commuting, riding around town, and short trips. Then a 250 sport bike would be perfect, however if you think you might join a riding club that rides 150-200 miles at a clip then I would suggest looking at a 500cc to 600cc cruiser style. my daughter is 21 and I just bought her a 2008 Kawi Vulcan 500. I was going to go the route of the 250 then she told me when she feels really comfortable she will be riding longer distances. The best advice I can give you is whatever type of riding you are going to be doing start small, under 650 cruiser style or 250 sport, till you get really comfortable with how a motorcycle feels then graduate up to something larger. I started with a 1983 Suzuki GS650GL and now I have a 2010 Kawi ZG1400. I hope this helps.
just so everyone knows. the 250 will do as long of trips as the rider can handle. YOU will be the limitation, not the bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
just so everyone knows. the 250 will do as long of trips as the rider can handle. YOU will be the limitation, not the bike.
Just everyone knows, a 10hp riding lawnmower will also do long trips. You just have to stop and fill it up very frequently.

·
Registered
202 Posts
i think he meant ANY bike will do long trips, the rider is always the limitation :)

anybody else think its weird theres a honda ad in a kawi forum? haha

1 - 20 of 21 Posts