Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all,

I bought a "new" 2009 monster edition zx 6r direct from the dealer coz of a good bargain about a month back. already ran into a problem :(. after riding for a while, itseems that my battery is getting overcharged, it gets freaking hot and the stink of sulfur pops out and a buzzing sound comes from around the battery (not the gas tank) . The battery with the system died on me once, (as in whole display shut off and bike wont start) was replaced by the dealer but its happening again, so no body knows the root cause still now :( any suggestion where to start looking.

Anyways, Because of my work i am right now in youngstown. Havent seen much sporties running around here, enough of cruisers around. If anyones from around here give a shout out.

Hope to get good advices and tips from the pros here.

:devil37:

· Registered
504 Posts
hey scar, nice to meet ya. I bought this from hermitage.

Only about 350 miles on it and already its acting up :( went for the new one just because of reliability factor ... grrrrr
That sucks to hear. Id be pissed! especially only 350! thats nothing. Whats the dealer have to say about it? Id be making them fix everything haha

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the first time it died on me, they just said bad battery..bad battery...bad battery.. thats y,

now the second time it started with that freaking sound and sulfur smell rode it directly to them and now they are like" errr.... i dont know..... will call kawa tomorrow itself... sorry"

· Strat - the Asian edition
12,887 Posts
:welcome:
take it easy on the bike, it's a lot of bike for a new rider
do you have gear? If so, what kind?

sorry to hear about the troubles OP

your battery might be low on water.

Either ways...disconnect your battery from everything...now and stop using it.
That sulfur you're smelling is the battery leaking and the heat and popping sound make it worse. Overheated batteries can explode.

ride safe, wear your gear, have fun

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey bb,

Yep am going easy, although I been riding for close to 15 yrs now, never something as advanced. Hence I have no idea how to deal with the electricals :( I was so much OC to ride the day I bought it itself that I bought a jacket and helmet from the dealer itself which doest match to each other nor to the bike :lol

Anyways the bike is with the dealer now who apparently has no idea how to proceed :(

· Registered
5,288 Posts
Overcharging usually means a faulty regulator/rectifier. Use a multimeter to check the voltage across the battery with the engine at about 6,000 rpm. Anything over 15V says the r/r is faulty and cooking the battery.

Rob

· Strat - the Asian edition
12,887 Posts
Hey bb,

Yep am going easy, although I been riding for close to 15 yrs now, never something as advanced. Hence I have no idea how to deal with the electricals :( I was so much OC to ride the day I bought it itself that I bought a jacket and helmet from the dealer itself which doest match to each other nor to the bike :lol

Anyways the bike is with the dealer now who apparently has no idea how to proceed :(
haha 15 years damn, my mistake
my 4 years bow to your greater experience sir :)

that's a dealer for you :lol:

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Overcharging usually means a faulty regulator/rectifier. Use a multimeter to check the voltage across the battery with the engine at about 6,000 rpm. Anything over 15V says the r/r is faulty and cooking the battery.

Rob
Ah I guess the guys over there were saying that kinda thing but I was wondering why it's taking two days for them to figure out an answer and give me a call :(

And bb no issues, this bike is totally new to me and hence the years doesn't count until I have a feel for it :) plus don't want to hit the red zone brand new

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sure, good to meet more riders from around here, who knows may be one fine day we can organize a big group ride to restore the pride and comradery of sporties, so we can also "not wave back at" egoistic hd's :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.