Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All, out of courtesy I will introduce myself before i post a link in the relevant section.

I have just embarked and completed my first stripping down of a 1985 GPZ400R and this was also the first bike I have stripped - What a learning curve !

Suffice to say it was really interesting and enjoyable as the bike was in need of bits and pieces to get it going again and I am yet to pass my test. The idea was that I was going to work on the bike ahead of me passing said test and using this as my first bike, but have decided to go for a ZX6R, a much newer bike in comparison when I pass, and hope alot of the parts I have dismantled go on to be used again as it was rewarding but at the same time like I was taking something that once lived apart, and the end empty rolling frame was ghostly !

Well I am sure I will be on here when I pass my test and get the ZX6, but for now if there is anything you would be interested in then please see my link in the eBay section in a few minutes !

I am based in the UK and obviously some of the bigger items are unable to be shipped, but am willing to discuss shipping abroad parts to USA if the cost of transportation can be met !

All the best and thanks All !

Richard

** it wont let me post to the relevant eBay section so I hope the Admin will let me post this here ... http://dsa.ebay.co.uk/sch/richallsorts/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

Heres to hoping and understanding !

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Welcome here.

The forum may require 10 posts before a link is allowed, to reduce the number of scumbag spammers that add virus links.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for that, tbh I was nervous about posting a link myself, but it is relevant and I am not a trader, just a bit of an upcoming enthusiast I guess !

I totally understand and hope they at least leave my little link on here & I am certain that I will end up posting more than ten more times !

Take care !

Richard

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Strider !

Actually whilst I am back on, I guess having read some of the advice above for newbies, what size would you recommend I start with if a 600 is to big.

I am 6'3 and about 240lbs so I really dont want to struggle along on a 125. I will be doing my direct access (thats basically from no licence to bigger (600+) bikes in a week) but obiviously thats so I have the licence under my belt. Having done that, and baring in mind I would seriously be looking at a ZX6R or a CBR600, what would be a similar but smaller alternative

any recommendations would be great !

Cheers

Rich

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
For a tall and heavy beginner, I think the KLR 650 or Ninja 500 are good choices. Some will still recommend the 250 Ninja, to be extra safe while you are learning.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So then for a larger rider would it be safe to say that its relative and that a 600 or there abouts (give or take a 100cc) would be ok when you look at weight to bike ratio.

LOL i wanna clarify something tho, I aint fat and I wont use the excuse of being big boned, I am just a solid chap !

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
I have a 600cc cruiser with about 30 horsepower stock that is quite safe for a beginner, except for the somewhat difficult clutch, so many beginners stall it when taking off from a stop.

A 600cc sportbike has way too much engine and braking power to be considered safe for a beginner, including beginners over 200 pounds.

I pretty much agree with the article below, except that many riders including me started on dirt bikes before they were 16 years old:
-
-
GOOD FIRST MOTORCYCLES
-
-

1 - 9 of 9 Posts