Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys , I have a couple of questions regarding 96 ninja 750...
it has 14 K miles on it , never been droped , runs like new , jacket and shoei helmet included in the deal , guy is asking $ 3 K for it , is this a good deal ?
since i dont know anything about bikes yet , im asking for your help... first of all im 6' tall weight about 185 lbs - athletic type , 24 years old , is this bike good for learning ? few people suggested i should go with smaller bike , but basically my budget for a bike is 3K and i dont want to go smaller than 600.... your input would be very appreciated thank you...

·
Registered
605 Posts
Since you "don't know anything about bikes yet", why in particular do you not want to go smaller than a 600? Just asking.

You would be better off with a Ninja 250 or 500 to start with.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
You could pick up a 6R from that vintage and newer for the same money and would most likely be more happy. Everyone I know that owns a 7 say they're great bikes, but wouldn't recommend them to anyone, as they're heavy, huge and relatively slow. Everyone I know that owns a 6R loves it and recommends them to everyone.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Are all the 7's the about the same in rider position? I sat on an 03 at the "stealership" and it was uncomfortable as all hell. Felt like I was almost laying down...Now the 9R is a different story....It felt better than the 6R!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Ain't nothing wrong with a 7. And, they are not slow. They are a bit on the heavy side (especially the frontend). I think it is a great price for a great bike and it even comes w/ gear. Sounds good to me as long as the gear fits and isn't worn out.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Originally posted by melloyello
Ain't nothing wrong with a 7. And, they are not slow.
Relatively slow.

\Rel"a*tive*ly\, adv. In a relative manner; in relation or respect to something else; not absolutely.

In comparison to the 636, you'd be working your ass off to keep up on a 7. It's not slow, but it'll get dusted by damn near anything coming out the door today.

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
Originally posted by mred
Are all the 7's the about the same in rider position? I sat on an 03 at the "stealership" and it was uncomfortable as all hell. Felt like I was almost laying down...Now the 9R is a different story....It felt better than the 6R!
96-03 are pretty much identical bikes, so rider position won't have changed much.

I'd also suggest starting on a 600, like a 6R. You won't outgrow the power of a 600 anytime soon...

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Relatively slow.

\Rel"a*tive*ly\, adv. In a relative manner; in relation or respect to something else; not absolutely.

In comparison to the 636, you'd be working your ass off to keep up on a 7. It's not slow, but it'll get dusted by damn near anything coming out the door today.
I agree that it will be slow compared to a 636 b/c of power/weight ratio. Bikes have come a long way since that one was released. So, you are right and I am too. I can compromise.
I still think it is a good starter bike. I mean, there are guys on this board who think just b/c it is a 750 that it is too much to start on. When, in reality, the zx7r is a good riding bike that has just enough power and is very forgiving. I don't see why anyone should start out on a 250 or a 500 unless they have never ridden any kind of bike or they just aren't tall enough to hold a larger bike up. I use to ride dirtbikes that I could not touch the ground on either side. I would always have to jump off right when I stopped or find a hill to kind of lean on. Okay, I am getting way off of the original subject so I digress.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Originally posted by melloyello
I don't see why anyone should start out on a 250 or a 500 unless they have never ridden any kind of bike or they just aren't tall enough to hold a larger bike up.
"since i dont know anything about bikes yet" tells me he has no experience on motorcycles.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Originally posted by lbsohk1

since i dont know anything about bikes yet , im asking for your help...
This makes me really think that you should get started on something like an EX250 (Ninja 250) or an EX500. I know you said you don't want to start on less than a 600, but why is that? Have you done the MSF course yet?

An EX250/500 would be a lot more suited for a newbie, not just by the way the power delivery is moderate and predictable, but also in the way the suspension, brakes and steering are all set up with an inexperienced rider in mind. However, unlike a Honda CB250 Nighthawk or similar the EXs are still reasonably fast and fun to ride.

Here's my suggestion - start with a cheap, used EX. You'll be a lot less likely to drop it and even if you do, you won't care so much because you didn't spend much on it. A few months down the track when you feel like you've built up some good skills, trade up to the bigger bike and ride with confidence. Remember that this 750 might be a great deal for someone, but it's not a "once in a lifetime" deal and it might not be the right bike for you at this time.

Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I really think it depends on the person on what bike they should start on. Anybody can start on any bike, some prefer a big heavy bike.

I realize cars and motorcycles are different, but did anybody ever tell you to get a 4 cylinder family car first until you get used to it and then get a sports car later when your more experienced?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Originally posted by Naughtyninja
I realize cars and motorcycles are different, but did anybody ever tell you to get a 4 cylinder family car first until you get used to it and then get a sports car later when your more experienced?
There's not THAT much difference between driving a Camry and driving a WRX or a Mustang (it's pretty easy to drive those cars slow). There's a bit more of a difference between riding a CB250 Nighthawk and riding a ZX6R!

You North Americans are pretty lucky in that you can choose to ride pretty much anything as a newbie. Here in AU, and also in other countries like the UK, they limit the capacity or power of the bike you ride for the first year or so to try and get you to build up your skills before you run out and buy that Hayabusa. I guess I can only speak from my own experience, I'm on a 250, I've been riding all year, I'm yet to crash (feverishly touching wood) but I've come close enough in some situations to wonder how I would have gone on a bigger, faster, or more race oriented bike. Some guys are just naturally skilled and can hop straight onto a fast sports bike with no problems, other guys (like me) take a little longer to pick up those skills.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Originally posted by John H
Originally posted by Naughtyninja
There's not THAT much difference between driving a Camry and driving a WRX or a Mustang (it's pretty easy to drive those cars slow). There's a bit more of a difference between riding a CB250 Nighthawk and riding a ZX6R!

You North Americans are pretty lucky in that you can choose to ride pretty much anything as a newbie. Here in AU, and also in other countries like the UK, they limit the capacity or power of the bike you ride for the first year or so to try and get you to build up your skills before you run out and buy that Hayabusa. I guess I can only speak from my own experience, I'm on a 250, I've been riding all year, I'm yet to crash (feverishly touching wood) but I've come close enough in some situations to wonder how I would have gone on a bigger, faster, or more race oriented bike. Some guys are just naturally skilled and can hop straight onto a fast sports bike with no problems, other guys (like me) take a little longer to pick up those skills.
I actually think that is a great idea. MAKING people get small bikes.

I started when I was 7 on a dirt bike though and grew up riding so I think at 16 I would have been pissed to get a little bike.

I do think there should be Mandatory coarse like the MSF.

I've been to a local dealer and seen guys buy brand new bikes and have no license and NO idea what they are doing and the salesman telling them what control does what, THAT is scary!

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Originally posted by LOK
I've been to a local dealer and seen guys buy brand new bikes and have no license and NO idea what they are doing and the salesman telling them what control does what, THAT is scary!
I watched a guy pick up an 03 Gix 1K. The salesman is telling him that this is the clutch, this is the front brake and you have to pull in the clutch and hit that red button. He wobbled his way out of the parking lot, never to be seen again. I listened for the scream of exhaust and screeching tires, but never heard them. Should've followed him.

·
Registered
755 Posts
You know how much rider input it takes to get an old ZX7R turning? I had one back in the day and the amount of input to get that fat girl to turn was ungodly. If a newbie was to start on something like that, God hope he doesn't get into a situation where he has to turn quickly.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.