Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welcome to the board!
Check out this thread /forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3624
Among the bikes you mentioned, the 6R is probably the most beginner-friendly. Nonetheless, most people learn more easily on a smaller bike, like a Ninja 250R or an EX500.

·
Registered
17 Posts
well micty i have sat on a 250 and it felt a little too small,i felt a little cramped.and i have never seen an ex500.but i want something i can learn on but will also be usefull after i learn how to ride,i dont wanna have to buy another bike soon after i learn,i have herd that people get bored with the 250 within one monthe of owning it and end up spending more than needed buying a larger cc bike.but i want to know rather the 6r is a better bike to learn on than the r6 or the gixxer600.......oh and in some of the pictures i have seen with the zx-6r some of the farings just have zx-6r and then the pic i have on my screen,has on the upper faring 636.now whats the diffrence?

i am saveing up for a 2002 zx-6r 636 green/white
.....jeremy.....

·
Registered
17 Posts
i have seen some new 2002s in the dealership but i want one used so and sujestions(sp?)on buying used will also be helpful.tks

.....jeremy.....

·
Registered
17 Posts
ahhhhh i have herd the 500r called the ex500......i know i was looking in every kawasaki book i had and on the website and i was about to go crazy.....well at least i found out something new my first day here[8D]

.....jeremy.....

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
for 2002, Kawi made a 636cc version of the 6R, which is normally 599cc. North america did not get a 636, pretty much everywhere else did, but not us here in Canada/USA, we got the normal 599cc.

Green is a good choice.

I'd also vote for Kawi as being more beginner friendly, it's more stable then the Yami and Suzi, and much more comfortable then the honda. The gixxer might be a 10th of a second quicker in the quartermile, but you would not be able to be able to actually take advantage of that unless you've been riding 10 yrs :)
I looked at all the 02 6's and went with the Kawi, not a single regret.

-=Welcome To Canada=-

2002 Green 6R
1986 Gixxer 7/11

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Originally posted by kawadude

ahhhhh i have herd the 500r called the ex500......i know i was looking in every kawasaki book i had and on the website and i was about to go crazy.....well at least i found out something new my first day here[8D]
Yeah, that's an easy one to get confused. I figured that is what was troubling ya.
Glad I could help.

·
Registered
17 Posts
hello im new to this forum,just found it today,seems like a awesome place to start spending some of my spare time at.well anyways to my question..how good is a 2002 or 2001 zx-6r as a first timers bike.i haven't made my mind up yet but i was thinking bout a gsx-r600,r6,or the 6r..any sugestions will be very helpfull.
tks

i am saveing up for a 2002 zx-6r green/white
.....jeremy.....

·
Registered
17 Posts
CdnNinjaZX6R thats just too bad then cause the 636 is a sweet bike from what i have herd,i wonder y we didnt get them here.oh well i dont care just as long as it is a 6r.my first choice among many bikes to start on.and the way it is going the smartest choice.a hell of a lot better than an hayabusa and an r1 lol.and thanks speedvlaze on that ex500 thing.

.....jeremy.....

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
however kawadude...the 636 is the 2003 model zx-6r...but as a first bike I wouldn't recommend that..

I just bought a 2001 Yellow Zx-6r and it is my first bike, and it is PLENTY of bike. I have to be real gentle on the throttle...basically think of it like this...instead of twisting the wrist, just think about twisting your wrist, you'll be going faster than you have ever planned and "learning how to ride."

Unless you're really controlled with things with a lot of power, i'd go with the 500...

or...if you must...the 2001-2002 is a good model year choice for the 6r

Yellow/Blk 2001 ZX-6R
~D&D Slip On
My Daily Ride:
Blk/Blk 2003 Acura CL-S 6M

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just to clarify, the 2002 636 J-series is totally different from the 2003 636 B-series. As CdnNinjaZX6R said, the 2002 636 was sold only in certain countries (not in North America).

If you really want to limit yourself to the 3 bikes: an 00-02 6R, an R6, or a gixxer, the 6R is definitely the most beginner-friendly and streetable (due to its ergos and midrange torque).

I don't know if the 6R is a good bike for you to start on since I don't know how much driving experience you have (relevant for traffic awareness), whether you have any motorcycle experience, or how mature you are. If you are ok with all three, then maybe a 6R would be an ok beginner bike for you. Otherwise, if you were my friend or relative, I would do my best to convince you that a smaller bike, like the 500R or EX500, or even an SV650 (not smaller, but far less powerful) is a better beginner bike for you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
well micty i am very mature hell my parents trust me more than my older 22 year old bro with the cars.i have no street bike experience and i have only been on an dirt bike once and i did ok on that.but the most 2 wheel experience is on my k2 zed(pedle bike)which i know is far far from an 6r.i am 5'11" 190ish(not sure how much exactly)but i have none traffic experience.i plan to stay away from traffic till i learn how to ride.i have a nice big parking lot to learn the stuff i have forgotten.and a nice trafficless road to learn how to shift gears and onther road with very little traffic to get where i have to go.a lot of back roads around here.oh i am takeing the msf cource when i purches the zx-6r.and soon after the advanced riders cource.i couldnt get the bike less i take the cource which isnt a bad idea,and of cource leathers and an helment is on the way.

.....jeremy.....

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, Jeremy, you're statistically in a high risk category (younger, no driving experience, almost no motorcycle experience) so you just have to be really careful out there.

Meanwhile, you may want to check out http://www.msgroup.org/TIPS.ASP

P.S. I noticed you changed your signature to "saving up for a 636 zx-6r." Unfortunately, you won't find any 2002 6R with 636cc's in North America.

·
Registered
17 Posts
hey micty thanks for the heads up i forgot to change it back to zx-6r,and i wonder y the us didnt get the 636 anyways,haha like i need that extra power anyways.lol

.....jeremy.....

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
the reason we got the 599cc 6R rather then the 636cc 6R is that the 636 is not legal to race in supersport class, must be under 600cc.
So they made them for us poor folks here in North America and then race teams everywhere else bought em.

Same reason for 2003 there is a 636 6R, and a 599 6RR.

The problem with the ex500 is it does not look sporty at all, very grandma looking :)

-=Welcome To Canada=-

2002 Green 6R
1986 Gixxer 7/11

·
Registered
17 Posts
yeah thats what i hate about the ex500,it isnt sporty looking.and i wanna have a look at the sv650 or what ever it is called......no to big of a fan of thoes kind of bikes,the only thing i want that isnt sporty is a decked out chopper but that will come when i have a better job and more experience.

.....jeremy.....

·
Registered
17 Posts
well i saw my first sportster today.......my uncle ordered one from the h d shop down in virginia....man that thing is wicked...1200 cc.....but i still love crotchrockets

.....jeremy.....

·
Registered
17 Posts
hell yeah.....harleys make all that noise and dont move...crotch rockets dont make half the noise and they are doing laps around the mofos...but if its on 2 wheels i gotta have love for it...so..

.....jeremy.....

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hey, no matter what you do, at least you won't be in a car. Don't be ashamed to ride an ugly bike until you get better. I rode a Katana for a while before I got my 636, and I am glad I did. The ugliest bike in the world is better looking than a car by far! If you do get the 6R, practice practice practice!!! Nothing is safer than experience! [8D]

-Cops want a hot pursuit, so entertain them! -Shadee

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.