Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there.
I'm looking to buy a racing bike next spring. I've been wanting one since I was 14 (23 now). I'm going to do the safety course next week, as I've heard so many good things about it. I'm then looking to buy a 600 bike. I know a few of you are thinking immediately, "Start with something smaller", but a friend of mine with no motorcycle experience bought a 636 this summer and he said he has had no trouble on it, so long as you're sensible and don't go faster than you can handle. I'm definately not going to be stupid about it. I've been wanting this for so long, I'm not going to f*ck it up by hopping on and think about racing anyone anytime soon. I want to get a good feel for this thing for quite some time. Don't want to be stupid. Anyway, back to my point: I'm looking for advice on a bike to buy. I know everyone here is a ninja fan, as am I. It's what I've always wanted the most, but I'm worried that the extra 36cc will make insurance more expensive. So, I'm tossing around the ideas of others. I have eliminated the Suzuki as I just don't find it comfortable to sit on (lean too far forward for comfortable street riding). Yamaha is ok. I really like the CBR F4i (600RR is out of my price range) as well, though I've heard it doesn't pull very hard under about 8k RPM. I can get a deal here for a 2003 F4i and a deal on a 2002 ZX6R (not 636), neither one of which have left the showroom. ANyone have advice? Would the difference in power under 8k rpm even be noticeable to a novice rider? Thanks a lot guys.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Insurance usually doesn't go up until you're above 750cc so you've got nothing to worry about there

·
Registered
321 Posts
On my progressive report it says "600cc(high performance)" I'm thinking the high performance has something to do with my premium. That and the girl behind the counter said "well it is a race bike so they're more expensive" So I'm thinking if it was a 500cc cruiser it'd be cheaper yet only 100ccs less. I Think there is more than meets the eye on insuring a bike, more than just engine size that is. Probably differs with providers too.

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
the "high performance" is most likely the 100% surcharge they hit you with.
I asked my insurance company and they said their is a 100% surcharge of your premium for "race" bikes with most insurance companies (state farm does not charge this is most areas, they dont care what type of bike it is, just the engine size).

So thats why we are so high, they basically work out your price, then double it if its a 6R rather then some 600cc cruiser.

On a side note, harleys only get a 25% surcharge..

·
Registered
880 Posts
The first bike i got on was a 636. So it can be done if you use some self control and don't outride your skill level. Also, framesliders whatever bike you get i recommend that you get some. For when you don't fully extend that kickstand and the bike hits the ground. That happened to me at the gas station in front of a bunch of hoes. You'll only make that mistake once though believe me!!!![:M86]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.