Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm a newbie and not even on a ZX6R yet (currently on a Kawasaki ZZR250) but I'm hoping you might be able to help me with a pretty general question.

I have just a general question about crosswinds - these are pretty bad on a fully faired bike that only weighs 148kg (about 310lb?) and are about the only thing that is really giving me trouble as a new rider (apart from the usual idiots in cars). I had a really bad ride yesterday in a strong sideways wind - I'm basically trying to lean/steer into the direction of the wind to keep a straight line, and countersteer after a gust throws me off course.

Is there anything else I can do to deal with them? Would better tyres do much to help?

Thanks for any tips you can give!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I remember that...unfortunatly the 250 is fairly suspetable to crosswinds being light and all. Not nearly as noticable on my 6R's.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your help guys - I guess it's another thing to look forward to when I upgrade. That and three times the horsepower ;)

One quick question - how is it that my profile says I ride a pink scooter??? I know a ZZR250 is not quite ZZR1100 material (apart from sharing the same decal) but pink scooter???? Sheesh!

Here's a goofy looking pic of me on my 'pink scooter'

http://www.zaridium.com/images/j_homestead_zzr.jpg

·
Registered
530 Posts
One thing that could help is to keep your arms and your body relaxed and loose. You'll find that the wind will blow your body around (and you should let it do so to some extent in order to dissipate the wind's force), but it won't affect your bike's path as much. By contrast, if your body is stiff/rigid, it will act like a sail for the entire bike.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
It says "Pink Scooter" because you don't have anything in the "ZX6R Model Year" box in your profile. "Pink Scooter" is the default setting for those who have nothing entered in that box.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks speedvlaze - I've fixed it now :) No more pink scooter for me!

And thanks once again guys for your answers!

·
Registered
327 Posts
John, I had a GPX250R with the same problem when I was a newbie. I was doing a lot of highway cruising and nearly got sucked under a truck once. Replaced it pretty smartly with something bigger.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Just ride faster;)

My ZZR250 used to be a pig to ride during high cross winds. they are very light and I used to get blown around a fair bit.
I learnt heaps on my little bike, just ride as much as you can in all weather conditions, it will help when you come to riding a bigger bike in any weather conditions. Some people don't ride in the rain but, sometimes its unavoidable (especially living in Melbourne!)
When you upgrade your bike remember that you cannot go past a ZX6R[:p]

Enjoy

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey there Corbywan - nice to see another Melbournian AND a former ZZR250 rider! (Maybe I've got your old trade-in?) ;)

Do you hook up with other people for rides or know any good groups to go riding with? I'm keen to do some group rides, although for obvious reasons (relative newbie on underpowered bike) I'm not going to be riding *THAT* fast!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.