Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2000 zx7r with 6000 miles on it. This is my first bike i ever had and i have no clue about it. i just have two questions for now. I want to clean the air filter, can i use the K&N cleaner and oil kit i use for my car? Cause the filter is a piece of foam, so i wasnt sure if it made a difference. Second, i want to replace the fuel filter. I dont know the size of it or the fuel lines. Do i have to order one from a dealer or is it something i can buy from a auto parts store.

·
Registered
150 Posts
You may be able to use the oil for the foam filter, but I do not know how the cleaner will react with the foam. To clean the foam you may want to just use soap and water. Do you know if the carbs are jetted? If it has the factory exhaust, probably not. If you plan on jetting the carbs I would just invest in a K&N air filter.

Regarding the fuel filter, I would use the OEM for fitment reasons. Bikebandit.com sells OEM fuel filters for 10 bucks.

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/kawasaki-motorcycle-ninja-zx-7r-zx750p5-us-2000/o/m4221

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it has a d&d slip on exhaust on it. I have no idea what jetting the carbs even mean. this is the first time ive ever had a bike so everything is new to me.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Ok, installing a jet kit in the carburetors allow more fuel to go into the combustion cylinder which provides addition power. In addition, when you add more fuel you will also need more air in the cylinder so that the motor is not running rich (too much fuel). This is why you would install a K&N air filter. Now with the additional combustion/power it will increase heat and exhaust pressure, this is why it’s good to add either a slip-on or a full exhaust system to better scavenge the heat (less back pressure).

You mentioned foam air filter, I don’t think the zx7r came with a factory foam air filter, but I could be wrong. With D&D slip-on and what seems to be an aftermarket air filter, it is possible the previous owner had the cards jetted. Can you ask the person you bought the bike from?

All in all, is the bike running good?

Good luck, and remember to keep the tire side down.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. the bike runs great. it also has a vortex sproket on the rear, not sure about the front one. what does it do for my bike? The guy i bought it from got deployed to iraq. so i cant contact him. It doesnt seem to be getting the gas mileage that everyone esle is getting, but then again, im sure im not driving it right. i just starting to learn how to ride a bike, or a manual transmission for that matter. im still figuring out when to shift gears. ill get better in time.

·
Registered
470 Posts
the vortex sprocket is shit- it will wear out quickly, keep an eye on it for hooking teeth, when it starts, replace it soon, the chain will either spit out the back, are say hello to the case, change it before it does.

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
+1 to what Dave said about vortex sprockets being crap. I use gunk to clean my filter and k&n oil to coat it. You don't need to waste your money on a k&n filter though, just remove the wire screen and it will flow just as good. Take it easy you got a lot to learn, ride within your limits and do your homework and all your questions will get answered.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i took the tank off and found out it had a k&n filter. so i used my cleaner and oil that i got for my car. Runs alot better, it was so dirty. Im going to clean the carbs and change the plugs next.im pretty sure this bike sat for a long time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts