Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I'm a newbie. I recently got my motorcycle license from the DMV. And I'm looking into the Ninja 650R, preferably 09-11. I've already taken the MSF course and passed with no complications. My weakest point was the figure 8's but everything else was fine.
Reasons for Ninja 650 vice a 300 or a 250. I plan on doing mostly highway commuting, to and from work and visiting family which also is an hr on the interstate. I want to buy a bike, I will keep for a long time, and not trade it for lack of power. I like the ergos and the stance of the 650. I'm 5'9 about 200 pounds with 30-32 in seam. I'm not concerned about speed because in my car, I rarely go over 80mph.
Some mods and accessories I plan on getting once I find a 650R.
Frame Sliders, no cut.
Fender Eliminator
Tank Pad
TanK Bag
Just wondering if there's anything else I should be looking for, for comfort or making it bearable at highway speeds.

I already have a Helmet and Gloves, looking to purchase a Jacket soon.
I plan to ride all season long, with the exception of snow, or below freezing days. I live about an hr north of NYC.​

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
I would also be looking at:

1. motorcycle boots.

2. a better seat.

3. kevlar lined jeans.

4. dirt bike knee and shin armor to go under your jeans.

5. a better back protector for your jacket.

6. a taller windscreen.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Also get foul weather gear (raincoat/balaklava), heated jacket or liner and heated gloves like Gerbings for those nice, snowless chilly riding days. I'm from North Joisey and work in NYC. I ride all winter. On snow days, bus and subway is it. Enjoy your coming ride and do it safely.

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also get foul weather gear (raincoat/balaklava), heated jacket or liner and heated gloves like Gerbings for those nice, snowless chilly riding days. I'm from North Joisey and work in NYC. I ride all winter. On snow days, bus and subway is it. Enjoy your coming ride and do it safely.

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
I was considering riding the winter also. But definitely good info. I have a Icon Airframe helmet, would that helmet be ideal in riding in cold weather?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would also be looking at:

1. motorcycle boots.

2. a better seat.

3. kevlar lined jeans.

4. dirt bike knee and shin armor to go under your jeans.

5. a better back protector for your jacket.

6. a taller windscreen.
I have leather Steel toe boots, Are those any good or should I invest in riding boots?

What sites do you recommend for a better seat?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I ride an 1 hr 30 one way to work 3x a wk on a 07 650r. Invest in a very good seat and raingear. Your gonna want waterproof motorcycle boots too (in case a chunk of tire hits you or it rains) and possibly brighter lights (HID). What do you guys suggest for Helmet fog?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
448 Posts
For anti-fog, a friend of mine uses a product called cat crap. I haven't personally use it but he swears by it.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
For anti-fog, a friend of mine uses a product called cat crap. I haven't personally use it but he swears by it.

I've used cat crap (the product, not poop). You basically have to apply it once a day or it loses its effectiveness.

The best thing to use for a fogging up visor is getting a pinlock visor. Science!

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
I just open my visor some and tilt my head until the wind coming in clears the fog.

Steel toed work boots are not the best- they have very little ankle twist protection, a crash could bend the shoe enough to cut the top of your toes with the steel toe cap, and you will have much better shifting and back brake feel with a thinner soled boot specially made for motorcycles.

These boots below are a good pair for about $200+ depending on which modern model you choose, or buy the Sidi or Alpinestars or Dianese brands if you want to spend closer to $300 or more:
-
-
TCX SS Performance 2 Boots - webBikeWorld
-
-

1 - 19 of 19 Posts