Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

It wasn't long ago that I got my driver's license for a motorcycle, and it only took a simple figure 8 test for them to grant me a license. I tried searching for MSF or similar courses around my city and we seem to have none available close by.

Anyways, I tried purchasing a Kawasaki 636 2013 , but failed to get one out of the dealer that was customized the way I wanted it to be (ABS model + green color) since they were out of stock.

I found a deal for a zx14r that was dirt cheap, and had 5k miles on it, it was around 5k US dollars. The guy selling it said its lowered and extended for drag racing, as well as other modifications making it a very strong bike.

I bought it, and now I am having problems with handling as I feel I am going slower than most cars on corners / turns.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Shall I keep the bike and learn slowly, or shall I just sell it / trade it for something slower / smaller?

Please give me any advice you can give :)

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
If it's your first bike and you don't have much riding experience yet, I would recommend trading it for something else (Ninja 250, 300 or 650). The mods on that bike will also tend to make it handle like crap in anything but a straight line. Lowering and extending will make it harder to corner. You could raise it back up to stock height and possibly remove the extensions and resize the chain to mitigate these issues, but it's still a whole lotta bike for a new rider to try to learn on.

·
Registered
448 Posts
If that's your first bike I think everyone is going to tell you it was a terrible choice. Sell that thing and get a 250, 300, 500 or 650 and learn how to ride before you hop on a sport bike.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it's your first bike and you don't have much riding experience yet, I would recommend trading it for something else (Ninja 250, 300 or 650). The mods on that bike will also tend to make it handle like crap in anything but a straight line. Lowering and extending will make it harder to corner. You could raise it back up to stock height and possibly remove the extensions and resize the chain to mitigate these issues, but it's still a whole lotta bike for a new rider to try to learn on.

If I do that, is it possible for me to learn on it though? I was terrified when people told me that without the extension + lowering it will be doing wheelies uncontrollably.

I might just trade it in for a 300/650 if it's a no no for newbies.
I have 2k miles on it so far, mostly highway + "slight" corners which I already go slow on.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
pls make me the payee on ur life ins policy if you do.

·
Registered
180 Posts
My eyes popped out reading that you newbie bought a zx14r. (*stuffs it back*)
Modified for Drag racing?

There's only ONE answer. Sell your bike asap!
You life and limbs are worth far more than that 5k time bomb u just bought.

Seriously don't you have any biker friends around?
Didn't they advise u against it?

The guy who sold it to you was inhuman to sell it to you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Holy crap! A ZX-14 modified for drag racing bought as a beginner bike?!?!

IMHO you would've been better off buying a stock ZX-14 to start out on.

On the other hand, my ZX-14 is my 3rd bike and it's the best bike I have owned to date! :D I wouldn't have started out on it though.

Regardless, congrats and welcome to the site. :)

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
I'm sure he'll be fine.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
What bike did you use to take your road test on if the 14 is your first bike and you didn't take Msf?

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I took the test on a small cc bike they provided, somthing around 100/200 cc honda bike.

there is no MSF courses around here at all.

I tried practicing on empty roads and im slowly getting faster on turns, but you guys are scaring the shit out of me :p

I always have what you guys said in mind while riding, but dunno what the risk is, or I have not seen it yet.

I guess im better off getting a 300 ninja as starter, although this bike is pretty awesome and comfortable if not for the poor handling on turns. would be a shame to let it go :(

could someone shed some light on why this bike is likely to get me killed over a 300/600 bike please? I would appreciate it and it would totally convince me!

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
I'm under the impression this is just a trolling thread but i'll bite, just in case it isn't. a bike that size provides less margin for error. It's not advised to learn on a bike that powerful for the same reasons you don't learn to fly in an f-16 or learn to drive in a Mclaren. Read any number of the "best bike for a beginner" threads for a more thorough explanation, this topic is covered on a weekly basis.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts