Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First suggestion is to actually look at your bike, and see what tire size it currently has on it. Then hunt down the little tire card that is on the bike someplace, and see what is the proper size tire for the bike, according to Kawasaki's instructions at the time of manufacture.

Of course now that I noticed that you bike is in the shop 'cause it got wrecked, that makes things a bit difficult. Call the bike shop, ask them to take a look at the tire and placard on the bike, or better yet, go into the shop and do it yourself.

As for the weight ratings (55W, 56W, 58W), those numbers singnify maximum reccomended weight at max tire pressure. The higher the number, the more weight the tire can safely accept. That shouldn't really matter much unless you do alot of stoppies.

As for tire profiles, they directly affect the way the bike responds when you start to lean a bike for a turn. The wrong profile can cause the steering to feel either twitchy and lightning quick, or heavy and sluggish.

Basically, a taller profile will feel like it turns in quicker, while a lower profile will make the steering feel heavier. I would highly recommend that you use either the same size tire already on the bike, or the proper size recommended by the Kawasaki placard that is on the bike. Other sizes can be used, but might change the way the bike feels and responds to your inputs on the road. That in and of itself can be potentially dangerous.

BC.

I didn't do it, I swear.
And even if I did, what makes you think I would admit it to you?

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Hi everyone

I'm an ecstatic owner of a 2002 zx-6r carburated 636 which as I understand it, they didn't sell in the states?

Bought it used, driven approximately 3000km (1900miles), and the odometer now reads 9500km (5900miles). Had to change the rear tire to a used michelin macadam that someone else didn't want anymore since I didn't have the money to buy new tires.

I thought I'd try a set of Pirelli Diablos but then I got confused.

Rear tire 180/55 zr17 (73W) TL and everyone seems to agree on that but the front is different.

Your faq says 120/65-17 but I'm pretty sure my manual says 120/70-17, whis is what my old my old michelin pilot sports were. I guess I should check before posting this but the bike's in a repair shop (I crashed it[V], should get it back real soon though[:p]) and my manual is somewhere in a cardboard box (I'm about to move)

Pirellis online site
http://www.pirellidiablo.com/en_96/diablo/mainDiablo.jhtml

says 120/60 ZR 17 (55W) for the 2000 model.

The shop which I'm going to buy from lists two 120/70 diablo tires
(56W) and (58W) [?]
Are those some kind of weight rating or compound rating and what do they mean?

The 120/65 and 120/60 are marked 56W and 55W respectively, no alternatives.

How would these sizes and/or "56W/58W" matter when actually riding the bike? Will it handle badly if it has the "wrong" profile? What's the best? Original tire size? Or could it be that the tire manufacturer has made a tire that is so different that a different size/profile should be used?

If anyone could shed some light on this matter and help a newbie out it would be greatly appreciated.

Freedom is won with blood and lost with the stroke of a pen
--uknown

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Thanks for the info, I should hopefully be getting my kawi spec (120/65) Diablo front&rear next week, seems this forums faq was right all along and my mind was playing ticks on me. Can't wait to get rid of the old PilotSport/Macadam combo so I dare take it to the track again[:p]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.