Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's not the best sportbike to get, but it will work if you have some common sense...

personally I found that starting on smaller bike actually help you develope into a better ridder much faster...

just looks at all the racers on TV, do you thin kthey all started out on big bikes?

in any case, just take your time with the bike and respect it, and try and get some kind of formal training...you will be surprised how much you learn....

take care..

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
I started on a gixxer 1100 actually, that was not a good idea :)
I only rode it a couple months, and only on backroads, then I got my 02 6R.
I had no problems learning to ride it, but I have been cautious. I like to go fast but I only do it in familiar areas, and when I know the road is clean.

The best size bike to start on is always a huge debate. Use the search function, I remember over the winter we had a huge discussion on whether a 600 is to big to start on or not.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey guys, Im a newbie to the board and saw this was a zx6r board. I have rode crotch rockets before(nothing fast just around the block) and was thinking about getting a 2k3 ZX-6R. I just wanted some advice. I grew up on bikes, my father always had a bike and i have been riding dirt bikes for a while now. I would appreciate if you guys would give me some advice about this bike. I know it is very powerful but i wanted to know if its a good bike to start riding on for sport bikes. Originally i wanted a ZX-9R but i rode one and to much power for me to start on :D . Any tips, advice, or opinions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
355 Posts
My starter bike is\was a used '00 6R... be safe, smart headed, keep down the stupidity, and I think you will love it as much as I do...

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Don't know if I would go with a brand new 03. Might want to try something a little older. The value of a bike drops as soon as you buy it. Wouldn't want spend $8000 and 3 or 4months later decide it is too much for you. You'll take a real hit to the wallet. On the other hand it is a superb bike. Pretty easy to toss around but it can get away from you if you are not paying attention. It all depends on your wrist and will power. And I really don't see where offroad experience helped me on the street. I was use to dragging the rear into corners and sticking my inside foot out to turn. Don't even think about trying that on the street.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Run some searches and check out www.beginnerbikes.com, there are plenty of pages about a good first bike. Even though it's variable on the rider, I suggest you go with a ninja ex500 since it's quick (being 500cc) yet controllable (since it's a twin) enough to teach you to ride. I, also, have been on dirtbikes for years but the first week I've had this 89' zx6, has been slightly awkward. The braking is quite different and you're pitched forward more than you're used to. And above all, don't forget that safety comes first when buying a motorcycle. Good luck!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Whatever you get, take a motorcycle safety course. Even a veteran rider can get something out of it. Besides, you will probably get a discount on your insurance if you have taken a course.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Take the MSF course.Try not to sqeeze the clip-ons(bars,grips,ect...) to tight.I try to sqeeze the tank with my legs,so i can relax my upper body.Always leave yourself a way out at stop lights.

·
Registered
47 Posts
i started riding on a 1987 honda VT250, 45hp 180 something kg's was a good bike and reasonably quick, been on that for about 9 - 10 months. then i bought a 96 ZX6r ex race bike jumped on it and well, it took me for a ride, i didnt take it for a ride. i packed my panties, so much power and i rode it like a 250 not like a 600 like i should have. Anyways i would personally jump on an older bike, just so u dont cry so much when u drop it, that way you can get used to the asphult feel and the handling of a road bike, just for a little while and then jump on a 600 mean machine
Glenn

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.