Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm new here, but not to riding.

My dad has a 2000 ZX-6R that he bought new in '00.. between then and now, he's put 900 miles on it. It's been in Wisconsin, parked inside in his basement, or in his garage most of the time. It's hard charging system problems since almost day one. He's replaced batteries at least 4 times in it. After the 2nd winter of sitting, it started running like crap.. wouldn't idle, sputtered, etc. My dad never drove it after that basically.. just tried to start it a few times a year.

So anyway, jump ahead to '06. I'm stationed in Arizona, and am having the bike shipped here. We messed around with it over the summer while I was back there in WI visiting. We got it to idle, but it only would with the choke on. Tried messing with the idle screw.. didn't do anything. We replaced the plugs, battery, etc. Got it running to the point where it would idle halfway decently without the choke on. I started wondering if that K-TRIC (TPS?) may have something to do with it. We tried unplugging it and starting it, and the only affect it seemed to have was made the coolant temp display be wrong. It made the idle hang a little too.

Anyways, do these ktric things go bad? Does it sound more like I Just need to clean the carbs up and get rid of that gas? Maybe some Seafoam or something? Any recomendations would be AWESOME, as I am an old Yahama sportbike rider.. don't know much about these Kawi's.

Thanks!

·
Registered
196 Posts
With a history like that the carbies are garanteed to be all screwed up. Any old fuel needs to be ditched and the carbies will need a good clean out. I've had good results from motul carbie cleaner and fuel system cleaner. If it were me I'd be hitting it with these two and seeing where the dust settles. If its more serious it's time for a carbie strip down.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
id say the history of charging system problems comes from not being used enough. there really is no easy way ot test it until you getthe bike up and running. as for the carbs, i agree they are probably all mucked up from sitting for so long. definately drain the whole system, especially the carb bowls, soak everything in seafoam(stuff is awesome!). might not be a bad idea to have the carbs rebuilt and syncronized.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Welcome to the world of KawiForums.com
Yes I agree with both above replys carbs are jacked and charging is Probbly the riding lack. Fix the carbs first the seafoam my help greatly but i fear car pulling in the future because of the sitting
Peace Ron

·
Registered
87 Posts
The reason why it only runs when the choke is on is like the others have said carb problems. But its not that big of a deal your jets are clogged. The bike has primary and secondary jets and those secondary jets are friggin tiny and get clogged easily especially when old gas is left in the bowls. Take the carb assembly out, take apart the carbs and clean or replace all of the jets. I had the same problem with a rf600 and the secondary jets were so clogged that i just replaced them for 12 bucks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a bunch for the replies everybody. I have some seafoam I'm going to run through, then some carb cleaner I'll clean them up with after that.

Is there a vac line you can use to suck the Seafoam up like you do on a car on these things?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again for the responses. I took the carbs off and cleaned them up, and after reassembling today, I managed to get it idling by itself without the choke.

However, now it's only running on 2 cylinders. The headers for 2 of them aren't getting hot. Do you think the carb cleaner I sprayed down in to the valves/cylinder probably just fouled out the plugs?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Either the plugs are fowled or the float needles are stuck shut on the two not firing. You can check that by undoing the screw at the bottom of each bowl and seeing if any fuel comes out. Plugs first.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok I replaced the plugs today and started it back up. All 4 cylinders are firing, but it's still not running right. It almost seems like the firing order is wrong or something. If I drop it below 2000 rpm or so, it sounds like it's deiseling, and it knocks a few times and then dies. It pops and stuff when I hold it higher than 2000 rpm. Any ideas?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Have you replaced the fuel filter and made sure the fuel pump is working properly? Everything you've just said sounds like an excessively lean mixture.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I replaced the fuel filter today. Still runs like crap. All cylinders are firing. I replaced the plugs.

However, when I removed the plugs, then removed the coil pack thing, and test it to watch the spark, they are all very weak looking and irregular sparks.

I have NGK CR9E's gapped at .028

I'm wondering what the hell could've happened that would be causing weird sparks (or are weak looking sparks NORMAL for these bikes?)

Ugh.. I'm about ready to burn this thing down.

·
Registered
196 Posts
It's impossible to tell without seeing them. Do you know anyone who has the same model? If so you could compare spark or mabye even borrow their ignitor unit. Mabye this has been the problem right from the start.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. I got it running normally again today. I removed all the jets/needles and cleaned them all.. runs awesome now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.