Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. My name is Brandon and I am a newbie to motorcycle riding. I just finished my msf course. I was wondering is a Ninja ZX6R could function as a beginner bike. I am about 5'11" and 148lbs.

GOT STOPPIES?

·
Registered
55 Posts
It is probably one of the better 600's to start on besides the Suzuki SV650 or the Honda F3 if you must start on a 600. Just never exceed your abilities on it and remember that it is a powerful bike for a beginner.
Good luck. :)
Oh, and wear gear!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip Amita. Even though I am a newbie, my brother let me ride his CBR 600 F2 a few times. I felt comfortable on that bike so I think I will get the ZX6R. Oh yeah, I will not be doing crazy stuff until I have enough riding experience so you don't have to worry.

GOT STOPPIES?

·
Registered
147 Posts
zx-6r was my first bike and i still think it was an excellent choice for a first bike. as long as you respect it's power and don't get crazy until you are used to it, you will be fine. nice thing is, after you start getting better, you'll have plenty more bike to mess with then if you started on say a 500 or lower...

billy m.
1998 ZX6R
WTF is a Gixxer?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help everybody. I appreciate all of the information. Especially to localbar. That website had a lot of useful information. I think that I am going to stick with the Ninja ZX6R. Should have it in about two weeks. I am buying a used 1995 model. Will post pics once I have the bike.

GOT STOPPIES?

·
Registered
778 Posts
Thats a great move, buy used and learn, this way if you happen to make a mistake its not as hard on you as it would be if you bought a 2002.

And you can get a great deal on a 1995.

Good Luck and I am glad the site helped you, if you have anything to contrubite let me know and i'll add it in there.

Dave

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
dude, seriosuly, go really used. You will drop the bike alot...trust me.....

and ride within 75% of your limits if you want to keep the bike's rubber side down...you don't want to get yourself in a panic situation on a 600SS class bike.

My Drinking Team Has a Racing Problem!

·
Registered
119 Posts
The 6R is my first bike too. I really like the R6, but I'm definitely glad I went with the 6R. From my experience the 6R is a much better learning platform than the R6 or Gixxer. The Honda seems like a good launching pad into the SS arena too, though just from sitting on them in the showroom the Kawi was the clear winner. Great brakes, SMOOTH transmission, awesome motor, best ergonomics. All this, plus when you do get more confident, the Kawi can still hang with the rest if not eat 'em up in the bottom end.

Take it really slow though man. There's no rush. Lots of good advice here from everyone. I especially like the "ride within 75% of your ability" concept. Bikes are plenty of fun even when just gently cruisin through the hills and in town. There's no need to try and scrape your pegs or drag the can.

Also one note from this admitted relative newbie: be really careful when riding with friends, regardless of whether they're in a car or on a bike. Pushing yourself to keep up with, or stay ahead of someone is a QUICK and EASY way to get in over your head and eat it hard.

Good luck...let us know how things go for ya.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
"Also one note from this admitted relative newbie: be really careful when riding with friends, regardless of whether they're in a car or on a bike. Pushing yourself to keep up with, or stay ahead of someone is a QUICK and EASY way to get in over your head and eat it hard."

excellent point! What happens when you get a few guys togather in a group of 600SS? Usually someone wrecks ;) Actually it's fine to ride in groups, but make sure the group knows your a newbie and tell them ahead of time to just wait for you at stopsigns and stuff. Most good riders won't have a problem with that. That way you won't feel the need to keep up in fear of pissing off the other riders.

My Drinking Team Has a Racing Problem!

·
Registered
19 Posts
The 6r would be a great first bike. I wish I would have thought about it when I started instead went with a gixxer 750. That was a big mistake I had it for 12hrs and wrecked it (total loss). Coming to in a ambulance is a freaky feeling. It took me almost 2yrs to get back on a bike after that and I still have issues with right hand turns (that is what I have wrecked on 2times including that)Speed + rocks on road + hairpin turn = wreck and lots of money to fix. It took me 2 wrecks to realize that I am not as experianced a rider as I thought.
--Me
www.novariders.com

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.