Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the title said it all. I could use a little help from all of you. Thanks for the Help and input. God-Speed.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
i have the gpr and love it. no mods to the frame required, and easy to install. but im sure either will do. i fot mine from advance kawi for 320$ + shipping. night and day diff between having and not having one:D

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Also have GPR. It is extremely rugged and its location protects it well in case of a wreck. I love being able to adjust it on the fly and keeps my bike rock steady while at the drags.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I was gonna get the GPR. But I had a wicked deal on the Hyperpro.

I don't like the looks of the GPR. But either way, any damper is good for me. Better than nothing.

I just can't afford Ohlins lol

·
Registered
262 Posts
It's seems slightly odd to me how 90% of the reviews about steering dampers are about how much they cost, what they look like, or how resistant to crash damage they are because of location and design.

In my mind, for something that needs to potentially prevent a serious situation while riding track or street the only consideration is "does it work"? is there a riding benefit given what you are riding?

If you look even at the manufacturer's websites you'll notice that GPR dampers (and Scotts) are more prevalent in Supermoto and off-road, where the rotary dampers characteristics have the most benefit, and the parallel piston type are almost exclusive to road riding and racing because of their particular damping characteristics and performance.

I have a Scott's rotary damper on my dirtbike and a Hyperpro on my Ninja. I've had the Scotts mounted on the Ninja to experiment and the though there is no true way to measure headshake resistance, The hyperpro damper was far more precise in its damping application close to center while the Scott's was "vague" close to dead center and applied its damping forces at more deflection from straight ahead despite the amount of damping force the unit was turned up to.

With the Ninja on a frame stand... If you kick the wheel hard to one side or the other with the Scotts (rotary damper) the wheel deflects a fair amount before the high speed damping takes effect to slow the wheel from full deflection.

With the Hyperpro (parallel) dampers, if you kick the wheel hard from center either left or right, the highspeed damping initiates immediately, slowing the wheel from even departing from straight line with much more resistance. In fact, I almost kicked the bike off the framestands because there was so much high speed resistance (the steering was still very smooth and free at low speed movement and not "bound" at all...

Because the rotary design inherently has built in "delay" as a part of its mechanical design, its tailor made for off road applications where more precise damping is not as important as rugged construction and smooth resistance to very large deflections of great force.

Comparitively, the more fragile, but more precise damping from the parallel piston dampers from Ohlins and Hyperpro are more suited to the types of situations that street or road racing would incur... Which is perhaps why you see the piston type dampers almost universally on road racing machines...

Feanor

http://www.KawiForums.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40198

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
I personally love the piston style damper..
Have an ohlins on my RC51 and a hyper-pro on the ZX...but i will say that the ohlions works better, without a doubt.

The hyper-pro gets the job done and looks great, but just isnt as good as ohlins, but now ohlins has a a kit out.

The rotary ones for me, i just dont like them from my presonal preference...but they are better if you crash from what people say.
though mine did fine after lowsiding at 65mph

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have the Hyperpro RSC on mine, cannot complain one bit about it. The 22 setting is perfect, you can have the tention you want and it will adjust itself by the speed you are driving, wich can be usefull at low speed since you don't want your damper to be stiff.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.