Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning a road trip out west in a couple weeks from now. I'm just wondering if anyone knows of some nice places for riding near calgary. I'll be taking a whole day to (hopefully) ride around the mountains, but i'm not too familiar with the area, so any suggestions will be appreciated!

·
Registered
149 Posts
*****, I don't know if you have been to Calgary before, if you have then you know it is on the baldass prairie. You will have to ride a bit to get to the mountains (45 min to an hour depending on where in Calgary you are coming from and where you want to hit the mountains). There is a loop you can do from Calgary - head West on the #1, go South on Hwy 40 (twisty and scenic but watch out for wildlife and the RCMP), stay on it to Longview (flat and windy but also gas and food), head North on the #22 (you will go West at the 4way stop in Black Diamond and then North at the 4way stop in Turner Valley (watch for Elk), go West at the Millarville turn (don't know hwy # but it is clearly marked, turn North on #762 (twisty, watch for moose, deer and driveways, some of the crosses you will see are for bikers), you will hit a tee intersection with the #22. At this intersection you have 3 options, 1) go right, head back East to S. Calgary 2) go left and then immediately right (#22 N) and head into Bragg Creek (near where I live), lots of bikes there on weekends and going North on the #22 from Brg Crk gives you three options for going East into Calgary 3)go left, stay on road which turns into #66 and heads into mountains, this is a dead end road for a street bike but is twisty and scenic and takes you into the mountains (watch for moose, deer, cagers and free ranging cattle). I did this loop with my daughter (EX500 as well) this year, was nice, about three hours of riding sanely and stopping for the view once or twice.

Another ride is to head West on the #1, just past Banff you take the Bow Valley Parkway which will let you out near Lake Louise if memory serves. Twisty and scenic but busy on nice weekends and watch out for the damn Elk, they are worse than moose because the are almost as big and are usually in herds so they can be completely blocking the road and filling the ditches.

You can go some way up the #93 and still make it a day thing, will be scenic but not sure how far you will want to go before heading back to Calgary, best to look at a map to make your plan on that one.

If I think of anything else I will let you know, you can P.M, if you have any questions.

·
Registered
149 Posts
If by fun you must mean suspense, which SUV driving moron yapping on their cell phone will try to put you under the wheels of a dump truck that is flying along at 130 kph spewing gravel as it goes, all while one is trying to get around somebody going 80 kph in the far left lane. I swear there some kind of idiot magnet on that road.

·
Registered
47 Posts
ya, lol. the deerfoot 500 is crazy sometimes. the cloverleaf at 16th ave and barlow is pretty fun.. but seriously not much good roads around here. If you want a really good ride take 3 days off and ride to bellingham washington. then do the cascades mountain range. great road and awesome view. I make that trip once a year and its worth it for sure.

A closer road is going into radium hotsprings...buts that a good days ride there and back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts