Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
mad dum son
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a small group of guys here that do summer night rides through the desert.

I ride with these guys a lot but have never gone on one of these crazy rides because I'm deathly afraid of being eaten by a pack of coyotes and the lighting on my bike is pathetic. On the last trip that I did with these clowns we got separated in the middle of a reservation at dusk and I had to haul ass on the shortest route I could see on my GPS to get out of there before it was completely dark. It was pretty terrifying to know that I was out there in the desert, on the rez, by myself, with a little lighter for a headlight. So when I got home I started looking around for lighting options. I got these.

They are pretty nice and very bright but I had yet to put them to the test in pitch black out on the trail.

So in anticipation for one of these crazy night rides that my buddies are putting together next week I decided to do a little night run through the Apache Trail which is a road that I am very familiar with.

·
mad dum son
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got home at about 6. I got drenched on the way which is exactly what I wanted.
Let me explain.
Down at the bottom of the Apache Trail is Fish Creek Canyon. It's a beautiful place but it gets even more beautiful and extraordinarily unique when it rains.

Waterfalls in the desert are a very rare sight.

Even people that have lived here all their lives and have traveled through this area, when I show them these pics they can't believe them. I guess people are afraid of going through here when it's wet.

I on the other hand, seek it.

So with as much rain as we've been getting the past few days

I was eager to go check out the water falls at night.

So enough back story. let's go!!!

Threatening skies look great!

·
mad dum son
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
mad dum son
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Called the wife to come bring me a jerry can. Might as well take some pics while I wait.

There's my woman!

Not so quick gas up and I'm off again. By now I'm super late to meet up with my buddy, Steve (
shaddap Vern) no, it's my buddy Aaron so I haul outta there.

...and mesmerized by the sunset I took a wrong turn and headed West toward Phoenix instead of East toward Globe.

That added about 20 more minutes because with these highways there's no easy way to turn around. This ride is going just as I planned!

one last shot before the sun goes bye bye.

·
mad dum son
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Meet up with Aaron.

and we're off.

Here's a comparison between the stock DR650 light.

and with the auxiliary lights.

good difference.

Aaron only has a stock light so he'd be trying to follow me close.

brap.

We snake through the twistes and arrive at Tortilla Flat.

Never seen it lit up before.

rattle snake.

Poor little guy.

and on to the dirt part of the ride.

not too close to that guard rail dude!

Riding though here knowing what is on the other die of that guard rail is a little unsettling.

This is the drop off of that ledge.

And finally at the bottom of Fish Creek Canyon.

It was ridiculously dark out there.

·
mad dum son
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We talked there for a bit about hiking through the canyon. Aaron tells me that he's hiked every trail in the area. I'm not much of a hiker so I just listened intently. Hiking seems like a sport I'd get into if it weren't for the hiking part.

While we talked we kept seeing little lights appear. We thought at first maybe they were animal eyes but I had my flashlight with me and didn't see anything. Maybe it was just fireflies although I'm not sure they live in the area.

Anyway, I was still thinking about the pack of coyotes ready to pounce at any moment so we got on our bikes and went out to explore some new trails.

First trail, a no go.

Second trail looked promising at first but then

I cased it pretty hard on that rock.

and got stuck at a near 45 degree angle.

I think it was a sign telling us not to fuck around in uncharted territory.

Each and every trail we went into was more of the same.

It's an uneasy feeling not being able to see more than 10 yards in front of you and looking at the trail simply drop off. The shadows were playing tricks on us.

The final straw was this flooded trail.

It was time to pack it in for the night. Got home at around 11.

more on the "Big ride with the clowns" ride later....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts