Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So i bought this 2010 Ninja 250 2 nights ago. It only has 15XX miles on it so its still in pretty new condition. Owner said it was stuck in the garage for 3 months without starting the engine at all. We got there, we had a problem starting the engine at first but eventually it started with the choke fully turned on and engine heated up a bit. I had my friend drive it 60 miles home and realized that the choke is still on when we got home (probably a bad idea).

Now I have to turn the choke fully open to start the engine but it only stays at 1000 RPM idle, i heard that it should go higher if the choke is fully turned on. And everytime I turn the choke off the engine dies right away even after letting it sit idle for a few minutes. Other than this problem i can ride bike fine but i have to leave the choke on.

Any help would be appreciated guys!

Thanks in advance,
EJ

·
1,905 Posts
+1 with Sev....sounds like it's time for a carb clean, as more than likely your jets are clogged. You can get some carb cleaner.

Basically you Pull carbs off, take apart and let the needles, pilots and main jets soak in the cleaner over night. Also spray and wipe the slides and also the carb bodies.

You may also need a very thin wire to poke thru the holes to make sure that they are clear, if soaking doesn't clean then all the way. And if you don't have a compressor for air, just get a couple cans of air from your local office supply store to use to blow them thru.

You can check by raising the jets towards a light to see if it is clear.. If so put your carbs back together and install on the bike ... your problem should be solved.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys!

I dont think i can do that myself without a good garage and a proper tools. How much do u think its gonna cost me if i bring it to a shop? I dont want them to rip me off so i wanna get an idea what could be the problem is. Anything else i should have them checked up or done? Like a change oil or something?

·
1,905 Posts
Just gotta call around and get pricing. Depends if a Dealership or independent shop.
Depends on labor rate of course, but in our area, good rule of thumb is 1 hour per carb.

Other service items can be quoted also. Just depends on what you can do yourself

1 - 5 of 5 Posts