Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe it's just here in California, but I see Craigslist ads for Ninja 250's and the prices (for the most part) are absurd.

I see sellers listing their 2-4 year old Ninja's for hundreds OVER the MSRP price for a 2008.

I also see 2008 owners selling their *used* bikes for THOUSANDS over MSRP. This is without mods.

Now, there's an old saying, "the market determines the price," but is the market demand such that people are actually paying the money?

I truly wonder. Is there anyone here that has purchased a 2004 Ninja 250 with slight damage for 3400.00?

I won't make fun of you. I am just interested in the thought process. There's something out of wack here, who are these people actually paying the money?!

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Asking price and the selling price are 2 different things. Doesn't hurt to ask. :)

Seen the gas prices lately?? People are getting fed up paying so much to fill their cars/trucks/suvs. Who knows what they would pay to escape the high fuel costs?

I doubt anyone who buys at those asking prices would post up... you may not make fun of them, but doesn't mean others wouldn't.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Fuel costs have been going down over here, under $4 everywhere.

I'd rather buy new anyways, that way I know there won't be problems, plus I'll have a warranty, I can break it in properly, etc.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Kkim. :)

There's certainly a correlation between gas prices and fuel efficient vehicles. But, the asking prices on some of these bikes goes well beyond that.

It reminds of me Ducati 748 owners. They tend to always ask ridiculous prices for their bikes. Not really sure what goes on inside their heads. Maybe it's wishful thinking.

Maybe it's that they are seeing others post high prices, so they are following in their lead?

I have read, time again, folks posting on Craigslist in the Ninja 250 sales area about this strange phenomenon. It's quite funny.

But, something's worth is what someone's willing to pay for it.

I'm hoping a few brave souls will post and enlighten me a bit. :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
It's a feeding frenzy and I don't think it will last too long. The great looks of the 2008, good reviews and recent high gas prices combined to make this bike desirable. Dealers have to order next years models in advance, and none predicted this frenzy so dealers are out of 2008's and are now waiting for the 2009 models which BTW have a $500 increase in MSRP. I'm hap[py with my 2008 but wouldn't be if I paid over $5000 out the door. There are too many models new and used and more to come that would be more cost effective. The ultra high asking prices you are seeing are not likely the price they will be sold.
Bill

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Gas is still at about $4.50 here and as optimistic as I want to be, something tells me this is just a temporary drop.

As far as people's reasoning for buying the bikes at the ridiculous prices... most people are not enthusiasts and just don't know what the bikes should cost. Hey, if I'm willing to pay the overpriced asking price, the bike was priced right, correct?

It's all about timing the market (supply/demand). In January, I finally talked my GF into selling her Lexus and buying a Prius. Gas was pretty cheap back then and we got the Prius at a discount because most buyers weren't factoring gas costs into their ownership costs. Today, it's a different story as there is a waiting line for the Prius with some people having to wait months. My GF is soooo thankful she switched cars right now.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I think the prices listed on Craigslist and others are kind of crazy too. But I'm starting to see a drop in '08 models. Houston's listing 3 all with asking prices of between $3500-$3800. But pre-08 models are still being listed for around $2800-$3300. I won't pay over $2200 for a pre-08. But I guess that's why I'm still bike-less.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yep,
Just figured it up and after taxes and other fees, an 09' will be nearly $4,500.00 OTD! That should also keep 08' models priced higher too. This is if the dealers continue to sell at MSRP w/o any additional markup. My dealer called me to notify me that I deffinitely wouldn't be getting the 2008 that I have already paid for, but he assured me that he went on with the single allowed early release 2009 model order and it would be mine once it arrives. He then tells me that the bikes went up and we would have to work something out for the difference. I didn't argue with him, but I am not going to pay one more dime since I have been waiting this long already and was assured the price that I paid. I hate that they may need to "eat" the difference, but I surely don't plan on it. This may get dirty when I demand my money back and I bet that I am not the only other person in this same situation. This really puts a bad taste in a new customer's mouth and is not a very customer oriented thing for Kawasaki to do. They should have left the price on these single early release bikes the same and added the $500.00 to the regular 09' orders. I am just waiting to see what happen right now. ;)

·
Registered
90 Posts
I hate that they may need to "eat" the difference, but I surely don't plan on it.
Oh trust me, they wont eat a damn thing. Kawi knows they have a gold mine on their hands, so they decided to jack the MSRP an extra 500 and cash in. Stick to your guns. Dont let them gouge another couple hundred out of you because its an 09. Tell them to pound sand, you paid for an 08'

·
Registered
647 Posts
did you not see the 250 on ebay the other day go for 5800. people will pay the price so thats why they are selling them for so much. its an awesome lil bike with great gas mileage, people are looking every where for them.

·
Registered
274 Posts
after reading this thread i put mine on craigslist for only $4700. i'll just get a 2009 if someone buys it. thanks for the encouragement.
$5800???? some people have more money than brains. j

·
Registered
15 Posts
everyone is trying to buy the new 250r.

Mine has a few minors scratches and ppl have made offers of up to 4000...

i would sell it, but it is a good commuter bike since it doesn't waste that much gas...

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Ninja 250r is one of the best starter bikes. However, if the line of thinking is gas savings, then you can practically buy any motorcycle. Even Harleys get great gas mileage compared to cars.

So, economy alone cannot account for the demand.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just had one guy at Starbucks three hours ago that was drooling over my 'o4. Offered me, jokingly I assume, 4K on the spot for the keys. Demand is ripe right now, if you can even find one for sale. Even Craigslist is looking bare in my area.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Now this is a totally different market, but I live in Canada...
I was looking for a ninja since mid-april (either a new '08 or a used of any year)
For a new '08 the price is $4799 + taxes and freight/PDI amke it about $5300 out the door.
In mid may the first bike came up... it was a '06, ~3000km's (1800 miles), no damage, asking $3500 CDN.
I called the next day, the guy said the bike was already sold... I asked him how much he got for it and he said 4k and the guy picked it up about an hour after posting the ad.

Then at the end of July (yes, that much time passed with not a single other 250 coming up!), one got posted for $3100. It was an '05 with 2000km's (1200 miles). I called 4 minutes after the ad was posted. I drove down that night, and someone else was already there. Got into a bidding war and got the bike for $3400, which I consider a very good deal haha!

Since then, one other bike came up. An '04 with 2500km's, slight scratches on left fairing. He was asking $4200. I called him three days after it was posted, and he sold it for his asking price...

So yes, people are paying these high prices... the bikes are in incredibly high demand here!!!

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Now this is a totally different market, but I live in Canada...
I was looking for a ninja since mid-april (either a new '08 or a used of any year)
For a new '08 the price is $4799 + taxes and freight/PDI amke it about $5300 out the door.
In mid may the first bike came up... it was a '06, ~3000km's (1800 miles), no damage, asking $3500 CDN.
I called the next day, the guy said the bike was already sold... I asked him how much he got for it and he said 4k and the guy picked it up about an hour after posting the ad.

Then at the end of July (yes, that much time passed with not a single other 250 coming up!), one got posted for $3100. It was an '05 with 2000km's (1200 miles). I called 4 minutes after the ad was posted. I drove down that night, and someone else was already there. Got into a bidding war and got the bike for $3400, which I consider a very good deal haha!

Since then, one other bike came up. An '04 with 2500km's, slight scratches on left fairing. He was asking $4200. I called him three days after it was posted, and he sold it for his asking price...

So yes, people are paying these high prices... the bikes are in incredibly high demand here!!!
What's the price of gas there?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Spoke with my dealer and the only difference is a 500 dollar price increase. No FI (fuel injection) for the 2009. Colors are black, red and blue. Green is discontinued.

The demand for the new Ninja may have something to do with the styling, as the 2008 is probably one of the best designed bikes of the year, regardless of bike class/displacement.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Gas is still at about $4.50 here and as optimistic as I want to be, something tells me this is just a temporary drop.
$4.50, down to 3.50 here. Usually goes up on the holidays, so next weekend will have to see :)

250's seem to hold there value pretty good. Over msrp is lame, and asking close to that for used kinda sucks.

I remember getting my 85 900 ninja for 3900 out the door in DEC84. Paying that same price for the 250 really hurt :mad:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts