Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some feedback...

I've been riding an 08' Ninja 250 since Apr of this year. It's my first bike, I love it, it taught me about riding... but, as one might expect, I'm ready for a little bit more.

I went to my bike shop looking to put a deposit on one of the 09' ZX6-R's, but the sales guy mentioned that he had 2 new 08' ZX-10's clearing out for $1000 CDN less than the ZX-6R's are expected to be.

I'm a little bit older and sadly I've developed a bit of a maturity factor, so I'm not worried about doing anything terribly stupid on a bike as powerful as a ZX-10. I also like going fast, but don't really think I qualify as a 'speed demon'.

Can someone give me a heads-up and opinion as to whether I should jump on the 08' ZX-10 for less than a new ZX-6? I'm more concerned with being surprised by the bike at bad times, and the possibility that it's unpredictable.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've been riding for nearly 34 years, and I'll tell you the same thing I've told others. It is YOU that controls the bike....if we all had to worry about getting on a bike and hangin' on while it does what it's capable of, there would be far fewer of us riding. When I get on a bike, the size or horsepower or top speed doesn't even come into play, because I never push the bike beyond MY limitations. As long as you don't exceed your limits, you should be fine, whether it's a 10R or one of those 2 liter + Triumphs. Personally, I'd buy the bike that I believe would give me the most "bike for the buck"...as long as you're mature enough to know your limits when it comes to twisting the throttle.

Hope that helps....

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Need some feedback...

I've been riding an 08' Ninja 250 since Apr of this year. It's my first bike, I love it, it taught me about riding... but, as one might expect, I'm ready for a little bit more.

I went to my bike shop looking to put a deposit on one of the 09' ZX6-R's, but the sales guy mentioned that he had 2 new 08' ZX-10's clearing out for $1000 CDN less than the ZX-6R's are expected to be.

I'm a little bit older and sadly I've developed a bit of a maturity factor, so I'm not worried about doing anything terribly stupid on a bike as powerful as a ZX-10. I also like going fast, but don't really think I qualify as a 'speed demon'.

Can someone give me a heads-up and opinion as to whether I should jump on the 08' ZX-10 for less than a new ZX-6? I'm more concerned with being surprised by the bike at bad times, and the possibility that it's unpredictable.

Thoughts?
I think it boils down to forgiveness. If you forget you're on a litre bike even for a second it could be the last thing you do.

I was on my buddy's 929 a few weeks back and I did just that. He was on my 6R and got out a head of me a bit so I cranked on it not realizing I was still on his bike and I tell you it scrared the be jesus out of me. I've only been riding for a couple yrs but I have alot kms under my belt.

IMO a new 600 is plently of bike on the street but as was mentioned you're the one at the controls. It's your choice.

Habs

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
:spam:

·
Powerhungry
38,380 Posts
is this a trick Q?
hahaha

it really could be titled "250 to 600..am i ready?"

cuz theres no way in hell you're prepaired for what the zx10 brings.
with a 10...you would NEVER have to shift out of first...if u didn want to. it WILL do double the speed limit in FIRST gear.

this is about money? THAT should be the LAST consideration...on a decision like this * to go from a FEW months on a 250, straight to a liter.*

allow me to purchase life insurance on you. i believe that would be a good "bet" on my end...

·
Registered
692 Posts
I've hopped off my 250 and onto a couple of buddies' liter bikes. My brother's Daytona 955i, and a friend's R1 and his RC-51. I've been riding since April like you. Have you ever been on a liter bike at all? Cause if not, I can tell you right now... there's no way you want to have to deal with that kinda power everyday in traffic and in town. Especially coming right off of a 250. Yeah you may get used to it. But like Habs said, as soon as you forget what you're on.. it could come back to bite you in the ass.

They scared the piss outta me even while I was being as docile and possible! I don't need or want a liter bike. I'm gonna be just happy with a 600. Just my opinion.. but since you asked... go for the 6!

·
Registered
34 Posts
heres my view on things

I got my first bike last yeah in june and i have around 20,000km under my belt.

When i choose my ZX-6R with 109hp as my first bike, almost everybody said to me, dont get that bike, i'll kill you, you cant control it, aso.

So i called my old driving instructor and he said, its all about the connection between you wrist and your brain. Dont go further then your limits and you'll be good. Take it one step at a time. I did that and im fine, BUT if i was younger say 18-20 years of age, i wouldnt have been able to back off the thruttle.

I'm waiting a few more seasons to get on the 10r.

in conclution, i would say its a matter of age(maturity), experience and most important self control! maybe it will go well maybe it wont. Only you can deside this. i would say, try them both and watch out! try the 600 first and if you feel overwhelmed, go with that one ... for now. it's a big jump.

Good luck to you, and let us know what you get.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
It's the mistakes that you WILL make that are easier on a smaller bike. Go with a 600 if you want a super fast bike. Literbikes are very difficult to control.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Need some feedback...

Thoughts?
personally if you know your confident enough for it then do it...
like someone already said... any good rider is in control of the bike no matter how many cc's it is...

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
The 08 6 goes 0-60 in about 3 seconds. The 10 will do it quicker but on one wheel. I don't have to shift my 6 in toen at all unless I want to. You don't have to shift the 10 on the highway if you don't want to. But as said if you have a good connection between your wrist and your brain you can ride any bike and you might survive.

I'm 6'2" 195lbs and I have no desire or need to ride a litre bike of any sort on the street. The 08 6 will do in excess of 200km/h (appr 120mph) easily in 3rd gear and with revs to spare (16500rpm redline). That's almost double the legal speed limit on the biggest highway where I live.

It stops fast and carves corners sharper than I'm willing to chance. My last bike was an 02 ZX6R same as the new ZZR600 and it even more forgiving than my new bike but still more bike than a noob like me could ever use off the track.

I can't wait till I can do a track day or two and see what I can really do on it but I know if I went from my old 6 to a newer 10 I wouldn't be as comfortable with my abilites on it compared to how confident I am now on the new 6.

"With great power comes great responsibility." Peter Parker's Uncle Ben.

Try the 6 you'll be surprised how fast it really is and how forgiving it can be compared to the 10. You'll see what many sensible riders see. The 08 ZX6R is more bike than anyone needs on the street. I only know a few guys capable enough to ride a litre bike anywhere let alone on the the street. They've been riding for more yrs than I've been having sex lol.

Habs

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Need some feedback...

That's funny. From just that quote, it's plain that you're going to do what you want. I doubt that in 6 months you've done everything that can be done on a 250. But, as the saying goes, it's your life and your choice. Good luck.

·
Registered
692 Posts
"With great power comes great responsibility." Peter Parker's Uncle Ben.

Habs

lol That's the best comment so far! That's all you need right there!

·
ratherberiding
18,438 Posts
like someone already said... any good rider is in control of the bike no matter how many cc's it is...
Wrong. I bet you can't go 1/4mile in a topfuel dragbike without crashing :D

·
Registered
104 Posts
I remember when I accidently snapped the throttle on a 250R...sore neck at the end of the day. Imagine that on a liter bike. x_x

1 - 20 of 52 Posts