Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! Thanks for checking out my post

I want to get my first motorcycle and I'm deciding between used or new Ninja 250r or GS500f. On Craiglist, I'm able to find GS500f for about same price and the MSRP is only few hundred dollars different. I want to get a reliable bike. Which one tend to be more reliable? Which bike is more beginner friendly? I know the third gen ninja250, it's more beginner friendly where mid range rpm power's been improved so I don't have to open up the throttle to get good use of the bike. How is it with GS500f? Is that bike beginner friendly?
I personally like the looks of third gen ninja250 compared to GS500f, but it seems like ninja250 is such a popular bike that demand is high and therefore, maybe priced high for what it offers compared to what GS500f offers for its price. Any feedback, I'd appreciate it! THANKS!!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
If you want to compare bikes, use the ninja 500 in the comparison to the GS500. Though I would say if you want to go with a 250, the ninja wins out in every comparison including resale.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
goal12, thanks for your quick post! I wanted to compare these two bikes as I find similar prices on craigslist. Most likely as you mentioned, Ninja 250 has better resale value. So if I can get these two bikes at same price, which one would be a smarter choice? Basically, two most important factors for me are reliability and beginner friendly bike. Thanks!!!

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
If those two are the ones you like, go with the 250R. It won't have as much power as the GS500, so it'll be better beginner friendly, and I personally think the GS500 is uglier than crap. The 250 will also get you ridiculous gas mileage (if you care about that sort of thing). Personally, I learned on my 600, so if I were you, I'd go get a cheap used 600. Even after you learn to control the 600, you won't get bored with it like you will with the 250 or GS500. I still have my first bike, had it 5 years now, and I still enjoy it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I learned on the second gen 250 (2007) and it was a blast. I made so many mistakes that were easily corrected on the 250. I think my 09 6r would have taken me straight to the casket. Take the MSF course and ride their 250's and see how it feels like. If you want more power move up to 500 or even 650, not the 600. Trust me, there will be 600's around when its time to move up. All the squids that were to scared will sell them like hot cakes.

·
Registered
220 Posts
When I got into riding I got a 2008 250, my bro got a zuki gs500f.

They are very comparable on the the streets as far as far as performance. Of course the 500 had some more nuts, but like other people are saying the 500 is a pretty ugly bike. Worst part is the handle bars- The old school 1 peice things.

Bottom line, I still ride my 250, and my bro has been through a couple bikes looking for something he likes! Go with the 250 it won't dissapoint

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
the 250 will prob he easyer to learn on and id say the reliablity is about the same. id agree the 250 look a millon times better than the wanta be gixxer. but after you learned the basics the 500 would keep you intertained longer. but both is a good starting point

·
Registered
4 Posts
My two cents...

My first bike was a 250r. Initially I liked it being that it was light weight, cheap, easy to handle, and got great gas mileage.

However, after driving it several times on the highway, I realized it's a terrible bike for highway use. It has no power and trying to go 65 to 70mph has you at 8,000 rpm. You feel like you're going to burn it up if you go any faster. But the scariest thing for me is trying to merge onto highways or get out of a blind driver's way. There is so little power that when you need to get up and go in a hurry and your life depends on it, you really can't.

It's also funny to me that everyone here is saying the GS500f is ugly because I personally feel like the Ninja, both 250 and 500, are ugly. They look like scooters with their front wheels and handle bars the way they are. The front wheel has a huge gap between it and the front fairing. I hate that. My hubby drives a Superhawk and my 250 looked so much like a scooter next to his bike. I am not a fanatic of one make or another so hopefully my opinion will be less biased.

I am actually looking for a GS500f for sale right now and that's how I happened to find this post. Maybe the GS500f is a "wannabe" as someone else said, but I feel it comes closer to looking like a real sport bike then the Ninjas.

By the way, I'm small and petite. Only 5'5". So anything bigger is out of the question for me. That was why I picked the 250 initially, but I just wasn't happy with it. Good luck with your choice.

·
Premium Member
1,884 Posts
What?! Here's your change.

My first bike was a 250r. Initially I liked it being that it was light weight, cheap, easy to handle, and got great gas mileage.

However, after driving it several times on the highway, I realized it's a terrible bike for highway use. It has no power and trying to go 65 to 70mph has you at 8,000 rpm. You feel like you're going to burn it up if you go any faster. But the scariest thing for me is trying to merge onto highways or get out of a blind driver's way. There is so little power that when you need to get up and go in a hurry and your life depends on it, you really can't.

It's also funny to me that everyone here is saying the GS500f is ugly because I personally feel like the Ninja, both 250 and 500, are ugly. They look like scooters with their front wheels and handle bars the way they are. The front wheel has a huge gap between it and the front fairing. I hate that. My hubby drives a Superhawk and my 250 looked so much like a scooter next to his bike. I am not a fanatic of one make or another so hopefully my opinion will be less biased.

I am actually looking for a GS500f for sale right now and that's how I happened to find this post. Maybe the GS500f is a "wannabe" as someone else said, but I feel it comes closer to looking like a real sport bike then the Ninjas.

By the way, I'm small and petite. Only 5'5". So anything bigger is out of the question for me. That was why I picked the 250 initially, but I just wasn't happy with it. Good luck with your choice.
My wife's first bike was an 07 GS500F. We both liked it a lot. It is what it is, just like the 250R. The 250R, having less power, requires you to develop skills and tactics above and beyond twisting the throttle. Seems to me you've already expressed your bias. You're telling me this looks more like a "real sport bike" than this? The GS500F is a sportbike that's a lot closer to a sport-tourer than a supersport. That's not an opinion, that's a fact. Look at the higher bars and the dual saddle. What is it about the front wheel that you hate so much?

Attachments

·
Registered
463 Posts
My wife's first bike was an 07 GS500F. We both liked it a lot. It is what it is, just like the 250R. The 250R, having less power, requires you to develop skills and tactics above and beyond twisting the throttle. Seems to me you've already expressed your bias. You're telling me this looks more like a "real sport bike" than this? The GS500F is a sportbike that's a lot closer to a sport-tourer than a supersport. That's not an opinion, that's a fact. Look at the higher bars and the dual saddle. What is it about the front wheel that you hate so much?
I have a feeling that she was talking about the previous generation 250R. With the old 250 having a 16" wheel it did look to small. Garret.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok well this is my fault... I was thinking of the older body style Ninjas. I guess my train of thought was that most people won't buy a brand new bike for there first. The older style had the same seat style as the GS500 you showed there and looking at those Ninjas from different angles just really reminded me of an old school moped or something. You are right that if you are going to buy a new Ninja, then yes, they are pleasing to the eye.

As for your comment about skills and tactics, yes... you do need those most importantly, but there are often situations when using the gas with those skills is the best thing. For instance, my experience, having merged onto a highway and doing 70mph in the right hand lane, a guy in a pickup truck pulling a long trailer was in the lane beside me talking on his phone. I was up front where he should have seen me, but he clearly was not paying attention. He started to speed up and pass me with intentions of coming into my lane (which I didn't know as he did not use a blinker). The best thing for me to do would be to speed up as I was closer to the front of his vehicle, but he had sped up pretty fast and started coming over into my lane. My little 250 was already at high rpm. So I practically had to slam on the brakes and ended up driving on the birm because his trailer was so long and he came over so quick. There have been a few situations where having more power would have been much better then trying to just maneuver or slow down.

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to dog the Ninja's. I mean, getting a 500 would fix the issue with the lack of power. And the 250 makes a perfect bike for city driving and is excellent on gas mileage.

That's just my opinion from personal experience having owned the slightly older body style. I didn't like it and the only way I would buy a Ninja now is if it were the 500 and the new body style. My problem is they are way more expensive then the older GS500f which still has a body style I like. So in terms of price plus eye candy... the older GS500f wins it for me. If I could afford a 2009 Ninja, I would probably go with that.

I attached the style Ninja I was thinking of and you can see the huge gap between the fairing and wheel. My preference is... I can't stand that. Makes me think... moped. They certainly made the new Ninjas look much better.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,884 Posts
As for your comment about skills and tactics, yes... you do need those most importantly, but there are often situations when using the gas with those skills is the best thing. For instance, my experience, having merged onto a highway and doing 70mph in the right hand lane, a guy in a pickup truck pulling a long trailer was in the lane beside me talking on his phone. I was up front where he should have seen me, but he clearly was not paying attention. He started to speed up and pass me with intentions of coming into my lane (which I didn't know as he did not use a blinker). The best thing for me to do would be to speed up as I was closer to the front of his vehicle, but he had sped up pretty fast and started coming over into my lane. My little 250 was already at high rpm. So I practically had to slam on the brakes and ended up driving on the birm because his trailer was so long and he came over so quick. There have been a few situations where having more power would have been much better then trying to just maneuver or slow down.
Thanks for the explanation. Seems to me the problem here isn't one of power or lack thereof. Cagers are idiots. You have to assume that they're all going to try to kill you. Did you see him speeding up? Were you going the same speed as he was? Were you in his blind spot? I understand that hindsight is 20/20 but it seems to me your planning and lane position were the problem. Even if you do everything right, there are going to be times when they are too inattentive to see you. If that's the situation here, that's fine too. Been there, done that.
That's just my opinion from personal experience having owned the slightly older body style. I didn't like it and the only way I would buy a Ninja now is if it were the 500 and the new body style. My problem is they are way more expensive then the older GS500f which still has a body style I like. So in terms of price plus eye candy... the older GS500f wins it for me. If I could afford a 2009 Ninja, I would probably go with that.
Kawi doesn't make the 500 anymore and they didn't update the body style. I wish they had though. We'd have one in the garage. The old body style and the GS500F look about 85% alike. To each his own though, right?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I looked at a 250r for my first bike because it has less power and forces you to almost be a better rider to compensate for lack of power. The 250 for me was ruled out though cause I am a bigger rider, and weighing 230 pounds seems to make the little 250r less responsive than I liked.
I agree with starting a little bigger as well, but dont start with a big bike. Start with a bike that you are comfortable on and go from there. I finally went with a ninja 650r because it has decent power, and plenty of speed for basic riding, and I really dont think it is too big for a new rider. The 250r would be my choice though of the two.

·
Premium Member
1,884 Posts
I looked at a 250r for my first bike because it has less power and forces you to almost be a better rider to compensate for lack of power. The 250 for me was ruled out though cause I am a bigger rider, and weighing 230 pounds seems to make the little 250r less responsive than I liked.
I agree with starting a little bigger as well, but dont start with a big bike. Start with a bike that you are comfortable on and go from there. I finally went with a ninja 650r because it has decent power, and plenty of speed for basic riding, and I really dont think it is too big for a new rider. The 250r would be my choice though of the two.
Exact same reasons why I went with the 650R for my first bike, except you're lighter than I am. Rep for the big guys. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey, I was wondering how the extra power in the Suzuki GS500F even helps at higher speeds on the freeway compared to the Ninja 250r. They both go from 0-60mph around the same speed, the 1/4 mile is nearly the same and the top speed are nearly identical. How is that extra power even useful?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have ridden both the 250r and the GS500. Personally I felt the GS500 had more power and would be more useful for the highway than the 250r but it was only by a small margin and at the time not worth the extra $2K to buy in Australia. We bought the 2009 Ninja 250r and have not regretted the decision :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts