Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
28,591 Posts
You need to do your research. Go and read what went into the 300. It's not a suped up 250, it's a new bike.

Always funny when you see someone defending their negativity so vigorously.

You have no experience with this bike. He does...end of story.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
I didn't say it wasn't a new bike. It is a new bike, however it's no more bike than the old 250 was with the exception of fuel injection, which the 250 DID have in Europe.

It still has conventional forks, non radial mount calipers, etc. There's nothing in the new bike a redesigned Ninja 250 wouldn't have. It has a redesigned frame, and a new set of plastics, gauges, and FI. Oh and a slipper clutch, which on a 300 I gotta ask why, not that much engine braking. The engine isn't new, it just has a new displacement and the transmission has revised gear ratios. It's the same bike, just a little different in the grand scheme of things.

As for my negativity, I'm sorry I just can't think positively about charging way more for a motorcycle than it's actually worth. You honestly think a new 300cc motorcycle is worth paying damn near $6000 or more for? I'm You're not actually getting much more than you would with the current Ninja 250R, which in turn you didn't get more than you would have with the 07 and prior gen 250.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I didn't say it wasn't a new bike. It is a new bike, however it's no more bike than the old 250 was with the exception of fuel injection, which the 250 DID have in Europe.

It still has conventional forks, non radial mount calipers, etc. There's nothing in the new bike a redesigned Ninja 250 wouldn't have. It has a redesigned frame, and a new set of plastics, gauges, and FI. Oh and a slipper clutch, which on a 300 I gotta ask why, not that much engine braking. The engine isn't new, it just has a new displacement and the transmission has revised gear ratios. It's the same bike, just a little different in the grand scheme of things.

As for my negativity, I'm sorry I just can't think positively about charging way more for a motorcycle than it's actually worth. You honestly think a new 300cc motorcycle is worth paying damn near $6000 or more for? I'm You're not actually getting much more than you would with the current Ninja 250R, which in turn you didn't get more than you would have with the 07 and prior gen 250.
Blah, blah, blah...we get it man, you don't think it's worth the money. The reviews says its a much better bike than the 250. The OP loves it. If he chooses to spend more for better performance, good for him. No need to come down on him just because it's not something you would do. Just be happy for him bro...he got a new Ninja, he loves it, that's awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
The thing's fucking beautiful.

It almost makes me want to downgrade from my ZX6R. Would the gas and insurance savings be worth it to do so? Maybe.

-Will

·
Registered
73 Posts

It almost makes me want to downgrade from my ZX6R. Would the gas and insurance savings be worth it to do so? Maybe.

-Will
I couldn't agree more!
The white is very nice!

Sent from my iPad using Motorcycle

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey OP, does yours have ABS?

Not sure if they offer the 300 with ABS in the states but I know up here in Canada they do and I can see the price being higher.

·
Premium Member
3,828 Posts

-Will
No way , get a 650 , much better performance ,power , and the MPG is about the same unless you drive on the streets at 30 mph , also you can see around the mirrors .

The 300 is a nice bike , but it is a bike designed to get people into riding a bike ,I think it is great what kawazaki is doing by getting people that are too afraid to ride a big bike into a starter bike that looks awesome and can be ridden anywhere they want , with that being said downgrading to a 300 from a SS 600 would be a big kick in the nuts , 650 is perfect for just about everything on the road.

edit: my biggest problems with the 250 was:

-Hard to see around the mirrors

-tire slide around a bit too much for being small and light .

-no passing power on the highway .

-uncomfortable for the passenger.

-it gets to the point were you want to ride something that feels like a real bike , the 250 is great , but honestly everyone should eventually move to a 650 at least ,there is no reason not to , the MPG is the same , except the insurance were you will; save some money .

All and all a great bike , but unless you live in a small town or south America a 650 is the way to go for daily commuter , I love my red ninja I just wished it sounded a bit more like a 4 cylinder .

·
Registered
914 Posts
No way , get a 650 , much better performance ,power , and the MPG is about the same unless you drive on the streets at 30 mph , also you can see around the mirrors .

The 300 is a nice bike , but it is a bike designed to get people into riding a bike ,I think it is great what kawazaki is doing by getting people that are too afraid to ride a big bike into a starter bike that looks awesome and can be ridden anywhere they want , with that being said downgrading to a 300 from a SS 600 would be a big kick in the nuts , 650 is perfect for just about everything on the road.

edit: my biggest problems with the 250 was:

-Hard to see around the mirrors

-tire slide around a bit too much for being small and light .

-no passing power on the highway .

-uncomfortable for the passenger.

-it gets to the point were you want to ride something that feels like a real bike , the 250 is great , but honestly everyone should eventually move to a 650 at least ,there is no reason not to , the MPG is the same , except the insurance were you will; save some money .

All and all a great bike , but unless you live in a small town or south America a 650 is the way to go for daily commuter , I love my red ninja I just wished it sounded a bit more like a 4 cylinder .
This post just makes me face palm so hard. venom dude, you are losing it.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I owned the 2012 Ninja 250 and the 2012 Ninja 650 and I agree with Venom. Passing power is lacking in the 250r. The 650r is a lot more stable and a smoother ride plus gives you the passing power you might need on the interstate. When I see an opening, I just want to go for it..not stop and think if I have enough power to get over or around. Maybe the passing power will be a lot better in the 300r, but it won't be close to the 650r. If I could only have one bike, it would be the 650r. That's for commuting at say 75 mph. For the twisties, I liked the 250r more. These are all 3 fantastic bikes though. Kawasaki doesn't put out any crap.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I owned the 2012 Ninja 250 and the 2012 Ninja 650 and I agree with Venom. Passing power is lacking in the 250r. The 650r is a lot more stable and a smoother ride plus gives you the passing power you might need on the interstate. When I see an opening, I just want to go for it..not stop and think if I have enough power to get over or around. Maybe the passing power will be a lot better in the 300r, but it won't be close to the 650r. If I could only have one bike, it would be the 650r. That's for commuting at say 75 mph. For the twisties, I liked the 250r more. These are all 3 fantastic bikes though. Kawasaki doesn't put out any crap.
This is why quite a few people think you should ride a smaller displacement, lower powered bike for a while before going larger.

Having had an 08 250R and my current ER-6n, the 650 is a more fun bike. No argument there. But I still think before I pull out to pass. Pavement hurts at 75 MPH.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Well, after over 10k miles on my 250 and going to a Yamaha demo event today, I think it's about time to throw my 250 out....

Just kidding. Not yet, anyway. Financial things need to fall into place.

Rode everything from the R1 to the Stryker. All pretty fun bikes and nice. They make the 250 look like a scooter, agreed. It is a great starting bike though and there is no arguing that. The 300 will be as well. But, I don't see how anyone should downgrade to it unless they are downright dangerous riders. In that case, they usually aren't respecting themselves enough in the first place so they would never trade down.

My next bike is definitely going to be a naked - and the FZ8 and FZ1 are sweet. They are not hard to ride, have manageable but large amounts of power, and make my bike look like crap. The new Z800 is also a possibility.

The 300, 250, 650 and some others have pretty damn good ergo's. I can't see how anyone can ride like that after doing a 25-mile ride on the R1. Yes, it was fun as hell and exhilarating and I never even needed to shift to second. But it was completely uncomfortable, IMO. I hopped on the FZ1 afterward and saw no reason why the R1 should be taken over that. Completely different riding experience for the positive, IMO with nearly the same power.

That's another reason the 300 shines - with great ergos.
My frame of mind? Be happy Kawasaki keeps producing new models.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Grats on the new bike. As for overpayment? Yeah, you did. But early adopters always do. So what it boils down to is if you're happy with what you got for what you paid then good for you.

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
108 Posts
I stopped by a large dealer in Houston yesterday, and they claimed to have one coming at the end of Oct ( claimed to not know if it was the abs model or not either ), and then he tried to get me to put a deposit down. I told him I wasn't putting $$$ on something I hadn't seen in person, and he "advised" me how hot these things were going to sell and how rare they would be to find. I will wait until next March to see just how rare to find they become.

·
Registered
293 Posts
These first orders that they get will be just a couple of bikes per dealership and those will sell quickly. My dealer said the main shipment comes in Nov. That might be a better time to buy....just in time for winter weather. No problem here though since I ride year around. The way I left it was that the dealer is going to call me when he gets one in. He still has 3 2012s on the showroom floor, but this dealer keeps additional bikes in the back, so he may have a bunch of 250s still.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Already trying to mod this thing haha..

I removed the front reflectors and installed some spare bolts from my 250..

Got a "universal" fender eliminator kit on the way. The fender on this thing is SIMPLE, not like the 250, you unbolt the fender and just that comes off, not the whole under tail like on the 250, so a universal fender eliminator should work great..

I have a set of Made in China adjustable levers on the way for my 250, so I will install them on the 250 and then see if the levers are the same on the 300.

I dont think as slip on for a 250 will work for the 300 as the exhaust pipes route differently, the 300 has a screw on oil filter right under the headers so now the exhaust pipe goes right under the center of the engine and then routes over to the can. But again not 100% just a first observation.

I need to compile some LED bulb numbers so I can convert from the incandescent bulbs to LED everywhere, and I would also like to try out a set of HIDs but I dont even know what bulb number this takes yet.

Also need to get a set of reflective wheel stripes, but I am having a hard time deciding on accent colors.. I thought red might look good, but then it does have the silver Kawasaki decal on the lower fairing, so maybe stay with a set of silver ones.. But maybe to plain.. I hate choosing accent colors haha.. All my bikes I have always done red on black or black on red.. This is my first white bike.. Was also thinking white with orange maybe??

I am debating on making this bike a solo bike, as in getting a seat cowl and removing the rear pegs. The issue is my wife and I plan on going on long rides together (her on the 250). And if I convert to a solo bike then if she ever has an issue on the 250 and get stuck in the middle of nowhere, then all of a sudden WE have a bigger issue if I have a solo bike haha..

decisions decisions haha

41 - 60 of 78 Posts