Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
So you having a ball on this bike or what? Looking at getting one of these for the girl as her first bike.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ok, so I gave in. On Sept 13, my wife and I took a ride to NY city to see the Ninja 300r. So, a week later I stopped by at my local Kawasaki dealer to pick up some parts for my 14R and sure enough he had one Ninja 300r. So I took a pic of the bike and emailed it to my wife. She called me up that was it. On Saturday the 22, my wife took home the bike. She couldn't even ride it home because my wife is only 5ft tall. So I put it on my truck. We paid $5375 OTD for the bike. The dealer took off $100 off sticker, charged us $199 for prep/freight, tax and tags, but waived the doc fee.

I didn't negotiate the price like I normally do when getting a bike. So, I just asked the owner to work up a number and we took the offer. Even if the owner didn't discount the bike, we would have still bought it. It's a nice shop and the people there are really nice too.

So, we already lowered the bike. (we used Roaring toyz links and lowering blocks from a 250r, it fit perfectly. My wife still has her 2011 Ninja 250R, we have so much invested in her 250R that I couldn't see trading it in. Her 2011 250R has a TBR slip on, shogun frame slider kit (the better ones) Custom LED fender eliminator kit, Michelin radial tires, and so forth. So, her report after driving it? Its awesome, very smooth, the transmission shifts smoother. She did however tell me that the 300R only feels a little more powerful than her Ninja 250R. Maybe it's because her 250R has a TBR slip on plus, I tweeked the carbs so the bike would run right with the slip on.

So, there you have it, great bike, but for $5375, she was expecting a little more power. But, good news is and perhaps the most important one, she absolutely loves the bike.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
It has to be because of your mods, because the 300 compared to my stock 250 is a night and day difference powerwise.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Yeah, Wait and put a yosh pipe(no TBR they explode) and a PCV and yune it and let us know how it runs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Oh, for anyone lowering their new 300R, the Roaring Toyz lowering links and blocks from the 250R will fit perfectly, However, the lowered kickstand will not. You will need to cut the stock kick stand and weld the base back on should you decide to lower the bike.
We also installed adjustable brake levers from a Ninja 250R, that fits too.

My wife is putting some pinstripes on her bike as we speak. We will post some pics of her new toy soon.

Ride Safe.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It has to be because of your mods, because the 300 compared to my stock 250 is a night and day difference powerwise.
Yeah, I thought about that too. All I did to my wife's 2011 Ninja 250R carburetors was I slightly raised the jet needles. This helped the bike from sputtering at cruising speed. The TBR slip on flows very free causing the bike to have too little back pressure. By raising the jet needles I essentially richened up the fuel mixture at cruising speed.

Also, I though about maybe my wife was taking it easy on her new bike. We are going to keep her Ninja 250R for a while. We may sell her 250R in the spring. I think the value of the 250R will really fall on account of the new 300R. So we have to be prepared to loose a lot. That was why I wouldn't let her trade in her 2011 Ninja 250R.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Thanks HRCH. It is opinions of someone who has ridden both the 250r and 300r that are important to many of us cause we want to know how much better the 300r is. So far it varies from a lot better to a little better (2 early reviews). Normally, the first thing you would notice is how much easier the bike starts with FI. My 2012 250r would have to crank over a second or so to catch. All my FI bikes start instantly. I assume it's the same with the 300.

Keep us informed about comparisions between the 250 and the 300. It is even possible someone might decide to buy a new 250 if they can make a really good deal. I can see one thing already. Seat ht. The 250 seat ht. is higher just a little on the 300, so somone about 5'2" might need to lower the 300 but not the 250. There's a lot to think about when buying a bike.

·
Registered
9 Posts
For the record (and just because I'm anal), there's no such bike as a "300R". The new model is the Ninja 300.
Yup, I just realized that last night. The bike doesn't have any decals on it stating what model it was. Then again, neither did 2011 Ninja 250R.
So, assumed it was a 300R.
My wife was busy all night putting on some pin stripes. I'm not a big fan of pin stripes, but my wife actually made the bike look nicer with red pinstripes. She also put red wheel tape on the wheels.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks HRCH. It is opinions of someone who has ridden both the 250r and 300r that are important to many of us cause we want to know how much better the 300r is. So far it varies from a lot better to a little better (2 early reviews). Normally, the first thing you would notice is how much easier the bike starts with FI. My 2012 250r would have to crank over a second or so to catch. All my FI bikes start instantly. I assume it's the same with the 300.

Keep us informed about comparisions between the 250 and the 300. It is even possible someone might decide to buy a new 250 if they can make a really good deal. I can see one thing already. Seat ht. The 250 seat ht. is higher just a little on the 300, so somone about 5'2" might need to lower the 300 but not the 250. There's a lot to think about when buying a bike.
I have not ridden her Ninja 300. But, I have riden her 250R. I can only go by what she has told me.
I hate to say this, but in my honest opinion, currently the way it stands, my wife's 2011 Ninja 250R SE looks nicer than her Ninja 300. Maybe because her 250R is an SE (pearl white) with lots of nice stock graphics. She even has a matching helmet for her 250R.

So hopefully, by this weekend we can have some comparison pics of the two bikes to post.

·
Registered
293 Posts
HRCH, ride them both too if your wife will let you (being very careful not to drop either), and let us know how acceleration, power, handling, etc. compare. Everyone wants to hear about top speed too, but I know you can't test that on a new bike. I suspect there are a lot of people that are trying to decide between the 2012 250r and the 2013 300. My dealer has a bunch of 2012s.

·
Registered
9 Posts
HRCH, ride them both too if your wife will let you (being very careful not to drop either), and let us know how acceleration, power, handling, etc. compare. Everyone wants to hear about top speed too, but I know you can't test that on a new bike. I suspect there are a lot of people that are trying to decide between the 2012 250r and the 2013 300. My dealer has a bunch of 2012s.
Yes, she will let me ride it. After all, I taught her how to ride. (with a lot of help from Cpt Morgan :violent:

Hopefully, I won't drop her bike. I ride a 2012 ZX-14R but I promise to take it easy, I'm curious what this little rocket can do.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
I havent gone above 7k rpm.. I really had no choice right off the showroom floor I was at 7k RPM.. A freeway was my only option home as this dealer was located in the middle of nowhere.. After the 10 miles on the freeway, kept it down a lot lower..

But up to 7k rpm I am happy with the power, I cant wait until I get this engine broken in and really see what it can do :)

·
Registered
4 Posts

This will give you guys some idea of what it can do.

Dyno test comparison of a stock 250, a race 250 and a stock 300! Impressive I must say.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you for sharing that video with us. I was under the impression the new Ninja 300 had 39 horsepower. I guess that was what the engine produced Not rear wheel horsepower. But still at 33.9. Rear wheel horsepower the Ninja 300 even has more horsepower than a moded ninja 250r. Im thinking about having my wife's Ninja 250r and 300 dyno'd. But I dont think she will want her new bike screaming some revs until its broken in.

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
9 Posts
In my opinion, a motorcycle should produced better power once its been broken in properly. I recall complaining about my 2009 zx6r not having enough mid range power. That all changed at around 1000 miles. Unfortunately i sold my zx6r just before my wife started to learn how to ride. I bet I could have lowered that bike enough for her to ride. But, the wise part of me strongly believes a 600cc sportbike would not have been a safe beginner bike for my wife.

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle.com Free App

61 - 78 of 78 Posts