Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After taking the MSF course, I just bought my first bike 3 weeks ago, an '07 silver 500r. A buddy of mine has an '08 650R and has been pretty much guiding me through the basics of riding. Next weekend, we're gonna be riding out with a few gixxer 600's, cbr600's, r1's etc. I'm just curious to see if my bike will be able to "hang" with these other bikes. Right now my main concern is safety at all costs and if I get left behind then so be it.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
In a straight line they will leave you for the most part, unless they really don't know what they are doing, and you really DO know what you are doing. Same goes for the twisties. More on the curves than on the straights though, I've had to sit at a stop sign with a guy on a 600rr, turn the bikes off, and wait for the guys on the CBR 1000 and R1 to catch up. The rider makes the bike. No matter what though, have fun, be safe, wear your gear, and don't ride outside your limits.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
Depends on where your riding and if your riding with a bunch of squids that just like to point the bike straight and hammer the throttle. If your in the twisties, hitting the corners, and not bombing down the straights, the 500 is perfectly capable of keeping up. It's all about the rider.

·
Registered
279 Posts
The 500 will be able to keep up in the twisties. Don't push it though. Ride within your abilities and if they leave you behind then they aren't guys you really want to ride with. On my 500 I was able to actually leave a couple r6's in the dust a few years ago. I was a more experienced rider than they were, but it really depends on their skill.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
The 500 will be able to keep up in the twisties. Don't push it though. Ride within your abilities and if they leave you behind then they aren't guys you really want to ride with. On my 500 I was able to actually leave a couple r6's in the dust a few years ago. I was a more experienced rider than they were, but it really depends on their skill.
Yeah, don't push your own limits to hard or you'll end up in a ditch. Ride at a pace you are comfortable with, it's easy to get in over your head if you are trying to ride with more experienced people.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, the route will mostly likely be some twisties here and there but mostly straightaways.

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
Ride as hard as you can. If they can't keep up with you, it doesn't matter if you can keep up with you. Wreck them. Kill them all.

--David

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
Ride as hard as you can. If they can't keep up with you, it doesn't matter if you can keep up with you. Wreck them. Kill them all.

--David
Lol, thats great advice. Read my sig for my thoughts on the matter.

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
No, an ex500 can't keep up with a 600 in the twisties or the straights. They don't have the power, the suspension, the brakes, or the tires to match a modern supersport.

But that is assuming equal riders. If these guys on 600's suck, you may be faster than them, but since you are a new rider yourself, I highly doubt that is the case.

But all that doesn't really matter. It's a street ride, nobody should be out there racing or trying to leave other riders behind. If they aren't willing to slow down or stop and wait for you occasionally, you should find other people to ride with.

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
45,304 Posts
After taking the MSF course, I just bought my first bike 3 weeks ago, an '07 silver 500r. A buddy of mine has an '08 650R and has been pretty much guiding me through the basics of riding. Next weekend, we're gonna be riding out with a few gixxer 600's, cbr600's, r1's etc. I'm just curious to see if my bike will be able to "hang" with these other bikes. Right now my main concern is safety at all costs and if I get left behind then so be it.

So it's your first bike and even though you took the MSF course your inexperience could get you hurt if you try and "keep up" with better riders and/or squids. If you're riding with a bunch of squids don't even bother with them. Just concentrate on getting the basics to become 2nd nature. Find someone who is a good rider (is your buddy?) and ride with him every chance you get.

·
Registered
522 Posts
What it really comes down to is what kind of people your riding with. 70mph on a 600RR is 70mph on an ex-500. If yall are just cruising around doing the relative speed limit why would you wonder if you could "keep up"? Sure they will get up to speed quicker if they want to. Now if they are squidding it up doing 160 down the freeway...no, you wont be keeping up. If yall are going to the track..no, you wont be keeping up.

My advice...dont go. Your so worried about keeing up that you will ride above your level just so your not left behind wheather you think about it or not. If you stick to your limits and get left behind your not going to have a good time. Get more experience then go out with them...and if they insist on doing 160 down the highway..find some other people to ride with.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts