Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

ninja 650 wont start NEED HELP

8K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  alwaysaman1992 
#1 ·
hey guys iam new to this forum and have a ton of questions for you. Just bought a 2012 ninja 650 about three months ago. had 8200 miles on it when i bought it. ran well for two months and in that period of time I put about 600 miles on it. Got on it one day to ride to school and fired right up but after one minute of riding it sputtered to a stop, and shut off. I tried to restart it and it fired up for a second and then cut off and hasnt started since. It turns over but just wont start. messed with it today and after pushing the start button several times it fired and almost ran but didnt and just turns over without starting. ANy thoughts as to what the problem may be? I would like to avoid taking it to a dealer if possible. My thoughts are it may be the fuel pump but any help would be appreciated. thankyou!

#3 ·
I would try charging the battery first, then a new battery second. Note that many new batteries require you to add the liquid and fully charge the new battery before installing it.

It is normal for a weak battery to turn the starter, but there is not quite enough power to also fire the spark plugs.

In the future, add a fuel stabilizer if the bike will be parked for weeks, and run the engine enough afterwards so it gets to the fuel pump and injectors/carbs. I like the StarTron because it does more than Stabil or SeaFoam for ethanol. The Bel Ray ethanol treatment is also recommended.

#4 ·
I'm thinking it is the battery as well. I have a 2013 650, and depending on what your climate is like, here in the hot AZ, typically you have to replace your battery every two years. I had to replace mine shortly after buying it. 10k miles and i put about 3k then had to replace. It would be unusual for it to be anything else but try the battery and let me know if that works and we can go from there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.