Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday afternoon I detailed my bike before going for a ride. When I left around 6:30 last night the bike was still beautiful and sparkling. I ended up riding until 10:30...about half way through the ride I started to wonder if it was raining. NO, it was just the bugs...it looked like rain there were so many. We had to stop to clean our helmets b/c we couldn't see for all of the bug splats. It was ninja vs. the bugs, and as you can see my ninja kicked some major bug ass! I am wondering if I wax the front b/f I go out at night next time, if that will help keep so many from sticking?

you can't tell from the pic, but the headlights are coated worse than the rest of the front

·
Registered
545 Posts
What a pain... I ride at night a lot and you know once the sun goes down it's pelting time.... I'm gonna try Rain-X on my headlights and visor to see if maybe they'll slide of a little easier when they hit

Last week, a big dragon fly swerved into my path a hit my helmet... sounded like a rock hit me :(

·
Registered
299 Posts
Yeah... I've got the same problem... my visor is the only thing that really pisses me off. The rest I can handle.

Well... except when my boss gets bent out of shape and tells me to clean his H2, he lives in butt-fart Idaho, so he's a natural born bug buster.

·
Registered
299 Posts
...and yes, wax will help. Don't use Rain-X... it has a chemical in it that eats away at that scratch resistant layed on your visor... so I'm assuming that it would also cloud your headlights.

I used to spay my mountain bike with PAM before going out to rip up some trails... I never had more than a chunk of dirt here and there, but I don't think this is the same situation. The mountain bike never seemed to have functional brakes when I did that.

[:I]

·
Registered
84 Posts
Ya worried about bugs, I was ridin home from work when a cockatoo flew right into me hit my helmet pretty hard i was doing about 90kph almost knocked me off the bike, it was a good laugh for the cars beside me. i coudnt believe it dumb ass birds[:p]

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
can anyone else see the big ones coming? sometimes i can see a little black dot on the horizon, and i'm thinking "what the heck......" then whamo! my visor now has the still writhing bumble bee on it with guts and parts of shell splattered everywhere.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Wow... I guess even on those hot nights it's a good thing to keep your visor down, huh? I'm sure bugs hitting your face at that speed isn't the most pleasant feeling in the world.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by Azn6R

Wow... I guess even on those hot nights it's a good thing to keep your visor down, huh? I'm sure bugs hitting your face at that speed isn't the most pleasant feeling in the world.
my riding buddy bf actually got hit by one in his neck last nigh. he thought it was a rock until we got back and removed his gear to see bug blood on the neck of the tshirt...haha eww

·
Registered
178 Posts
DON'T USE RAIN-X !!!!!!!

It will ruin your visor. I'm not sure of the headlights though.

I recommend getting some of the "honda brite" type of spray and wax.

Also I've heard the "pledge" works. I don't remember the exact type that works best though. "smear free" or something like that?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Yeah, that honda brite works great. Use it sparingly though. A little goes a long way and when you're done the bike looks awesome! Stay away from tires, brake pads, etc..... bike wont shine as more when you go to knee down and the out side of your tire has a nice strip on polish on it:( I was given a can with my bike and couldnt believe the results. Does Kawichem have anything comparable?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Honda spray is the best stuff out there, it'll eat the bug goo off your bike in seconds. I use plexus for my windscreen and visor.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
plexus works great on chain lube that slings off too. thats all i use to clean my bike. works fast and leaves a slick finish.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Once I was riding at night and saw this white thing spiralling towards me in the headlights. Though to myself "WTF is that?" Next thing BANG, huge mofo of a moth in the visor at 120.

Another time was riding in summer during the day with my visor open, suddenly saw this dragonfly in front of me, so I slammed my visor down as quick as I could. Caught it in the bloody visor. Pulled over as soon as possible, ripped of my helmet to have two halves of dragonfly fall out of my helmet.

Yuk.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Originally posted by 96zx6

Ya worried about bugs, I was ridin home from work when a cockatoo flew right into me hit my helmet pretty hard i was doing about 90kph almost knocked me off the bike, it was a good laugh for the cars beside me. i coudnt believe it dumb ass birds[:p]
[:M50]
sorry dude, but that is fucking hilarious!!!!!! [:M45]

·
Registered
695 Posts
Originally posted by 96zx6

If you wouldn't mind, fill me in again what a "cockatoo" is? I understand its a bird, but what is it comparable too...how big?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.