Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a ninja. gots a few problems.

it will idle, can throttle up just fine. but when I put it into first (with clutch out-hand pressed), the bike lurches a little. now, it seems like the clutch cable needs to be adjusted. it seems like the friction zone is too close and may not ever actually 100 percent disengage.

but the main problem is this. when I ease the bike really really slowly into gear (1st), the bike will suddenly die, or not quite die if I press the clutch back in fast enough.

when do you guys think?

i was hoping that seafoam would do it. i put some in (as well as new gas), but no go. it might be hard if i can't even get the bike on the road to really put the seafoam through the carbs tho.

thanks a lot guys

·
Registered
233 Posts
Is your kickstand down when you shift? If so, that will immediately kill it.

·
Overwhelming Splendidery
13,553 Posts
You can let it idle for a while and it will circulate the seafoam as well. I left my 250 sitting with no gas in it all winter, then added 3/4 bottle of seafoam (it was rich as fuck, and started smoking when it was ingesting the seafoam). After that point, I let it sit for a couple days, ran it again, and after a little while of easing on and off the throttle, it cleaned itself right up and is good to go.

What is your idle set after the bike warms up?

·
Registered
239 Posts
The 250's are extremely cold blooded so you need to let it run for a while with the choke on and you should be good to go. Especially if it's chilly outside it's going to be fussy until you ride it for about 10 minutes or so.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The 250's are extremely cold blooded so you need to let it run for a while with the choke on and you should be good to go. Especially if it's chilly outside it's going to be fussy until you ride it for about 10 minutes or so.
Thats for sure, mine takes a long time until it starts running good.

·
Registered
34 Posts
:p funny everyone thinks the same thing, I definitely kickstand stalled it the first day I rode my bike and couldn't for the life of me figure the shit out for an hour >_<

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problem! And my kickstand is up! Help!

Runs fine, been warmed up, choke is off and no problems reving in neutral but once i try to take off it dies.

Carb has been cleaned professionally and jets were tuned and spark plugs are new.

HELP

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
The switch for the clutch or the kickstand might have failed Gerard.

·
Registered
2 Posts
But it doesnt die when i pull in the clutch, but when i take off. I wish i could attach a video or something. It dies once i start to give it throttle, it starts to move and then dies down. When i release the throttle it stops bogging down and goes back to normal idle

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
Might be a vacuum leak.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks to everyone who has commented on this post. I had the same problem, could idle for 10min+ then when I kicked it into gear and released the clutch it would start moving then stall. I fixed this by opening up the kick stand switch and bridging a wire between the two wires soldered to the switch pcb. This bypassed the switch. Problem gone :) I may replace the switch at some point if I get around to it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the same problem! And my kickstand is up! Help!

Runs fine, been warmed up, choke is off and no problems reving in neutral but once i try to take off it dies.

Carb has been cleaned professionally and jets were tuned and spark plugs are new.

HELP
Very common problem. Many people (myself included) either cut and solder the wires together, or plug in this bypass which lets you keep the original switch and plug if it ever needs to be inspected or resold. This saves a bit of the hassle and solves the problem for the life of the bike. If you sell your kickstand switch on Ebay you basically break even.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts