Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about moving to New Mexico and am interested in riding in the mountains in the northern part of New Mexico. What are the winters like, can you ride all year? How hot does it get in summer? Are there any good twisty roads? Any places to do track days? Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
148 Posts
That depends on what part of Northern NM...it's a really big state with lots of different geography. For the most part, the winters are short but can be brutal if you're talking about places like Taos or Chama. I'm from Albuquerque and you can definitely ride all year there but it will get a little chilly.

Where/why are you thinking of moving there? All you rich Californians are running up our real estate prices[:p]

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, I am going to retire soon and want to leave Ca.

[8D]I would like to live in the mountains, where there are good twisty roads.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Sorry, but I lost this thread for awhile. I was drunk when I replied and forgot which forum it was in[8D]

As for twisties, they're pretty much all over although I only have ~1 year riding experience in NM. You tend to notice twisties once you're a rider more so than if you're a cager. I would definitely recommend northern NM for the (more) mountainous regions. Just stay away from southeastern NM, aka west texas[xx(]

·
Registered
571 Posts
Depending on how severe the winter is and how willing you are to ride in the cold you might have a 6 month riding season. However, the roads are worth it!

You'll want to do the Enchanted Circle (US64 east from Taos to Angel Fire, Eagles Nest, Red River, Questa, and back to Taos), US Hill (SR518 - you can take it to either SR38 or 442 [I think 38 was the better road but can't recall] to Black Lake then to Angel Fire and back on US 64 to Taos), The High Road (through Penasco, Chamisal, Las Trampas, Truchas, Rio Chiquito, Chimayo, Santa Cruz, and Espanola), Los Brazos Pass (US64 west from Taos to Tres Piedras and Tierra Amarilla), and of course SR150 to Taos Ski Valley.

Northern New Mexico has got some of the best riding around. And it's not far from some of the best riding Colorado has to offer either. Even though you only have half the year to ride if you've got the time you can ride the wheels off your bike on those roads. There are many other great rides that I didn't mention these were just some of my favorites.

I think they are still doing track days at Sandia in Albuquerque and Arroyo Seco in Deming is a good place for them as well.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Thanks for the info SWAT, I'll be sure to check some (all) of those routes out when I get back. You APD? A good friend of mine who's a 34 (I think that means officer, he he) just got a 600RR. We'll definitely be doing some riding together...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.