Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I just purchased a 2006 636, I noticed that the front brake was very almost going to the end after first ride (off trailer and into garage) I noticed there is nothing until 80% then very strong almost lock brake.

I did a complete brake flush with DOT5 fluid, and in the process I took pads out and let pistons extend all the way out and gave them a bit of a clean while they were still in the calliper.

after reassembling I spend maybe 10-15 repetitions of bleeding on first furthest (left calliper) then right calliper I did not notice any more air bubbles just fluid. I also did 5 repetitions of the master cylinder bleeding.

I notice there is still no brake at all up for up to 50% lever pull and from 50-60% I can feel slight resistance when pushing the bike. From 60-90% it gets progressively stronger and I cant really pull it past 90% without excessive force.

Ideally I would like the brake progression to be from 10-90% not 60-90% lever.

I have looked up other question forums and seem this issue is common especially if the bike has been sitting unused for a while (which It may have been but i'm not sure). But each forum has had a different fix outcome or the fix did not work for me.

I do not believe there is any leak in the brake system because I cable tied the lever up to 80% and left it for hours and the lever was just as firm from when I left it when I came back.

I have done the final bleed after cable tie leaver @80% for 8 hrs (first left calliper then right then master cylinder) But still same issue i.e nothing at all for first 50% lever pull. BTW I can see the lever pushing the master cylinder as soon as i start to pull the lever.

Your expertise is much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Hi and welcome, you've tried pretty much everything I was thinking of recommending to you. Some brake systems are just designed like this in an attempt to be friendlier to the user but in return you get this stupid brake feel. My brakes are exactly like this and I've tried to improve the feel with braided lines, racing fluid, stiffer front fork springs and top end pads. There was an improvement overall, but unfortunately marginal in the brake feel department. So I guess that only better and pricier hardware can really make a difference in brake feel sometimes...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi thx for your reply. I did more searching around and found there seems to be a common known issue with the OEM master cylinder where it leaks or something over time (not sure if it’s same issue I’m having). Apparently a part has been replaced by Kawasaki and you get the updated part when you order a MC rebuild kit.

As for me I’ve ordered HEL braided lines and I’m going to bite the bullet and order a Brembro master cylinder.

I’ll let you know how I go

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Hi thx for your reply. I did more searching around and found there seems to be a common known issue with the OEM master cylinder where it leaks or something over time (not sure if it’s same issue I’m having). Apparently a part has been replaced by Kawasaki and you get the updated part when you order a MC rebuild kit.

As for me I’ve ordered HEL braided lines and I’m going to bite the bullet and order a Brembro master cylinder.

I’ll let you know how I go
You are welcome, I am sure that Brembo pump will make a world of difference!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had the same issue on my ZX6RR race bike, final fix was Brembo RCS master cylinder with a pair of good s/h ZX14 calipers, also braided lines, awesome setup; other calipers will work but the ZX14 ones don't need any spacers.

The old calipers have too much flex, the ZX14 ones don't, they weigh a bit more but well worth it for the control & power.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts