Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Kawasaki ZZR600
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might be a dumb question but since I purchased the bike in this condition I'd figured I'l ask.
Went to do a coolant flush and realized there was no reservoir tank.

Can you run without a coolant reservoir. The previous owner has the lines leading to the reservoir tank plugged. Don't know how long its been like this.

·
Registered
260 Posts
A couple of problems with that set up is that you're at risk for running low on coolant and that's also where the excess coolant goes when it heats up and expands. If you've got a screw in there, then I'm not even sure where the extra pressure is going as it heats up.

And yeah, you need a coolant reservoir, they're not that expensive and the risks of operating without one are not worth it.

·
Registered
2007 Kawasaki ZZR600
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A couple of problems with that set up is that you're at risk for running low on coolant and that's also where the excess coolant goes when it heats up and expands. If you've got a screw in there, then I'm not even sure where the extra pressure is going as it heats up.

And yeah, you need a coolant reservoir, they're not that expensive and the risks of operating without one are not worth it.
Thanks for the input. Found someone who had a reservoir for sale not too far from me. Now my next question is the hose that connects to the top of the reservoir, where does the hose lead from?

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
The top nipple on the coolant reservoir, where is it suppose to lead to?
First of all, WTF?!
I have to admit that I've never seen something like this, really strange.
There must be an overflow port routed near the top of the engine or next to the side stand.

·
Registered
260 Posts
First of all, WTF?!
There must be an overflow port routed near the top of the engine or next to the side stand.
A typical reservoir will have 3 openings. One for filling, that one should be obvious, it's the one with the screw cap. A second at the bottom that connects to the coolant system. The top one, connects to a hose that just runs down to the bottom of the bike. It should just be there to allow the air pressure inside to normalize with the outside air pressure. Or, in rare cases for coolant to leak out if it's been vastly overfilled.

If you've got more than that or fewer than that, it would be unusual.

·
Registered
260 Posts
First of all, WTF?!
The overflow hose connects to a nipple. Although, I'm tempted to mod mine to look more like a nipple.

·
Registered
2007 Kawasaki ZZR600
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A typical reservoir will have 3 openings. One for filling, that one should be obvious, it's the one with the screw cap. A second at the bottom that connects to the coolant system. The top one, connects to a hose that just runs down to the bottom of the bike. It should just be there to allow the air pressure inside to normalize with the outside air pressure. Or, in rare cases for coolant to leak out if it's been vastly overfilled.

If you've got more than that or fewer than that, it would be unusual.
thanks.

·
Registered
2007 Kawasaki ZZR600
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No worries, just be careful not to overtighten when you install, you can bend the washer or crack the mount on the reservoir does. Also, make sure you've got appropriate clamps.
Yep. All cleaned up over here. Just waiting on the collars for the two bolts that mount the tank on the top

1 - 12 of 12 Posts