Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks alright... not as happy as i thought i would be. Took me about 3 hours, and it needs to be redone still... blinkers light up, but dont flash.. not sure how to fix this... also the tail light doesnt sit completely flush in the undertail piece they give you... so it loooks a little ghetto. My wiring is HORRIBLE, kept cutting the wires and couldnt get them to stay together... used a lot of electrical tape...

The kit gives you about 3 feet of wire, which is nice, but a little excessive, so i basically have a tonnnnn of wires just chilling under my rear seat... good thing i dont use it for anything...

Going to bring the bike up to wisconsin soon and have my sisters husband help me out rewiring it all and getting it set up correctly... its pretty ridiculous they make u take off the seats, rear cowls i believe theyre called, the lights everything.. and i had to break the stock connectors for the lights to try and fuse the new ones together...

like i said gonna prolly get it all done right in wisconsin this weekend... but its gonna be a royal pain in the ass!!! WILL PROBABLY just tear the whole bike down adn get all my mods done at once while im out there... man its gonna suck...

i hate taking things apart and putting them back together.. seems as though they never go back good as new... hope i dont get pulled over for NON flashing blinkers,, and hope the tail light doesnt go out... with my quite immature wiring job...

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Doesn't sound like it worked out too well. Any pics? I hope you get it figured out...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ya sorry i didnt take any pics... was a little strapped for time and really pics wouldnt do much.. i will take some to show you how it looks.. looks awesome without the mud flap.... i just am not a whiz when it comes to wiring...

i just realized the front signals dont flash either... not sure why must be something simple with the wiring but i dont know, just cut all the old wires. attached the new ones positive to positive negative to negative.. dont know why theyde stop blinking...

now im kind of pissed because i ripped off all the stock nice connector plugs and have just ghetto tape on everything and about 6 feet of extra wire just hanging around... ugh! i like DIY projects, but its difficult when u have NEVER touched a bike before.... any idea how or why this may have happened?anyone that has disconnected their turn sigs? and why would the front once get messed up it should be all different wires.... man im mad again jus got it back yesterday cant ride it til i fig out how to fix this shit... dont have time really

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok so i just figured out i need to attach these little "50 w 6 ohm" connectors to them to get them to blink since they are LED they take up more power...

well tried to do that, got the left side to blink in the front... rather quickly, but the back one would not blink... after playing with it a while... it just starts making this loud winding noise... kinda like one of those wind up timers from a board game....?

did i blow a fuse? wtf, this is aggrivating as hell... i got a ride tomorrow out to dekalb, and im going to have NO blinkers whatsoever... no biggie during the day but at night i need em.. and these things are pretty small on here.. im kinda upset with the whole set up... gonna take a lot more work.. guess i gotta find someone who knows more about this stuff than i do... :(

but anyone know why it still wouldnt work with these connectors? and what the hell is the loud winding noisewhen i flip on the turn signal....

i mean dont get me wrong its kind of fun to work on the bike, and when i figure it out im sure ill be happy as hell that i did it myself.. but until then.. UGH

·
Registered
679 Posts
Is it your fuse?

Usually to solve the fast blinking you need to install a resistor. Sometimes you need to install one in front and one in the back.

Also check your fuses. Where is noise coming from?

Lastly, either crimp on some connectors, or use those twist/snap connectors. Forgot what they are called. The tape won't give a good connection and will come loose with time.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i used the one from Bikelitez.com... not the deep mount one but the reg one.. im going to wisconsin tomorrow morning to have my sisters husband help me fix it.. when its all done i will take pics for all to see.... hopefully it works out well!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sure, sure... I see this thread on the day my Bikelitez no-cut kit arrives. I haven't tried installing it yet, but the directions make it seem like you just hook everything up using what the kit comes with (which consists of a shitload of wire, some butt connectors, nuts/bolts and some zip-ties (eek!).

Also, my blinkers make that funny sound shawnb114's talking about. It's similar to the sound a ratchet makes. I uploaded a video of it - you'll have to turn your sound up to hear it. (Odd Blinker Sound).

Here are some pics of the Bikelitez kit straight out of the box.

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
ok so i just figured out i need to attach these little "50 w 6 ohm" connectors to them to get them to blink since they are LED they take up more power...

well tried to do that, got the left side to blink in the front... rather quickly, but the back one would not blink... after playing with it a while... it just starts making this loud winding noise... kinda like one of those wind up timers from a board game....?

did i blow a fuse? wtf, this is aggrivating as hell... i got a ride tomorrow out to dekalb, and im going to have NO blinkers whatsoever... no biggie during the day but at night i need em.. and these things are pretty small on here.. im kinda upset with the whole set up... gonna take a lot more work.. guess i gotta find someone who knows more about this stuff than i do... :(

but anyone know why it still wouldnt work with these connectors? and what the hell is the loud winding noisewhen i flip on the turn signal....

i mean dont get me wrong its kind of fun to work on the bike, and when i figure it out im sure ill be happy as hell that i did it myself.. but until then.. UGH
The LED's take up less power... Like WAY less. The problem you're experiencing is that the resistors you're using are taking up the load that would be generated if you had NO incandescent bulbs in the circuit. Your front turn signals are still incandescent though, so you're REALLY taxing that line (Think the wattage draw of the front bulb, the resistor takes up the wattage that normally TWO incandescent bulbs take up) and your LEDs (which hardly registers wattage, but nonetheless). Go ahead and disconnect one of the front turn signals and then flip the turn signal on. It should blink the normal rate. Being a temperature type flasher as soon as you turn on the turn signal with that much of a wattage draw it's almost instantly too hot and then closes, and then re-opens. It does that so fast it 'buzzes'. That's why (for instance) I insist on having LED front turn signals to compliment my rear LED turn signals. That way I don't have to find an odd-ball resistor.

That and consider I'm running damn near 100 LED's via all my turn signals and that one resistor per circuit is sufficient to 'make up' the wattage draw that 2 incandescent bulbs pull and the LED's don't phase the flasher at all (blinks just like normal).

Sure, sure... I see this thread on the day my Bikelitez no-cut kit arrives. I haven't tried installing it yet, but the directions make it seem like you just hook everything up using what the kit comes with (which consists of a shitload of wire, some butt connectors, nuts/bolts and some zip-ties (eek!).

Also, my blinkers make that funny sound shawnb114's talking about. It's similar to the sound a ratchet makes. I uploaded a video of it - you'll have to turn your sound up to hear it. (Odd Blinker Sound).

Here are some pics of the Bikelitez kit straight out of the box.
That is a really clean looking kit. It's simple and yet everything is integrated (turn signals AND license plate light). If I hadn't already made my own piece I'd be all over that!

BTW that buzzing is somewhat 'normal' I suppose? Relays are funny things sometimes and activating them can take a little 'umppff'. You'll notice once it's warmed up (the blinker has gone past the first blink) it doesn't do it anymore. You should be fine :p

·
Registered
115 Posts
muloh,
Nice kit bro, i wish i could afford that kit but then again that's alot of wire and bolts and stuff. Be easier to just chop it off or use the ebay generic fender kit. Althoug they're not selling it anymore I don't think. Show us some pics once you got it on the bike!

·
Registered
40 Posts
muloh,
Nice kit bro, i wish i could afford that kit but then again that's alot of wire and bolts and stuff. Be easier to just chop it off or use the ebay generic fender kit. Althoug they're not selling it anymore I don't think. Show us some pics once you got it on the bike!
Thanks, doordie. I'm excited to get it installed, but all this wiring talk is getting me scared.

VeX - If I'm understanding you correctly, those of us who want to use LEDs for all of our turn signals need to put a resistor of some sort on each circuit to pick up the slack. I get that part. What I don't get is how to select the correct resistor. Is something like this (LED Turn Signal Load Equalizer Flash Rate Controller) appropriate? What brand/model/product did you use on your bike?

I wasn't planning on doing a LED conversion, but this eliminator kit has forced my hand.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The kit comes with resistors, 50W 6 ohms... very large...

and the kit seems easy to install, but you have to take apart everything. the instructions are TERRIBLE.... and yes it prolly would have been easier to just make my own.. im overall happy with it ... but its not as flush as i thought it was going to look, and the plastic undertail piece wasnt molded perfect.... but nonetheless its kool

im waiting on a new relay since mine made that looouddd buzzing noise, and now it just doesnt do anything... so im thinking i completely fried it... hopefully itll fix my no flashing problem, turn sigs just stay lit up they dont flash...

this EASy kit is turning into a real PITA!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.