Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I spent about 5 days in Myrtle Beach, SC recently, and it was impossible not to notice that they don't have a helmet law in the state of South Carolina. The thing that stuck out most to me wasn't that a few guys were riding without helmets on, it was that I didn't see a SINGLE rider WITH a helmet on. Not even on the highways! Some guys were riding without helmets or shirts, which seems even crazier.

I didn't have my bike with me, so I didn't have to decide whether or not to wear a helmet. I think I might have ridden around near the beach without a helmet, but purely out of peer pressure. I mean, who wants to be the only pussy wearing a helmet. Anyway, what do you guys think about this? I know there are guys out there who live in states without helmet laws, do you always wear your helmet? Just want to get some opinions from everybody.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I live in Utah. There is NOT a helmet law. I didn't wear a helmet for a long time. Then a read a story in the paper how this couple went down on a corner in town doing about 20 mph. They both died. The cop said they would have only had a couple of scrapes if they were wearing their helmets. Now their 2 kids don't have any parents. I always wear my helmet now. I wear a leather coat and gloves when riding my cruiser and I wear my Joe Rocket ballist 4 pants, my meteor 4 coat, Helmet, armored gloves and boots eveytime I ride my 6r. I owe it to my family and myself. I want to have a lot more years of riding and with my family.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Here in Florida The Helmet laws just changed about 3 years ago. Heres the deal now.
Must be 21 or over
Must have motorcycle endorcement on your Licence
Must have Life insurance policy of $100,000 or over.
Must wear eye protection

But no one knows or cares about that ins. policy thing.

99% of the time I dont wear a helmet. Only cause of personel preferance. But I always recommend a helmet to everyone.

I think that people that live in hotter climates find that its much nicer to ride without the helmet.
When I lived in Jersey I loved wearing a helmet cause it was usually freezing outside. But I cant stand wearing one here in South Florida.

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
For as long as I have been riding street there has been a helmet law in California. So I am very used to riding with a helmet. Sometimes I get skittish just pulling the bike into the garage without gloves and helmet on. That might sound a little wimpish, but I am sorry.

If I went to another state without a helmet law I don't know if I'd have the guts to ride without a helmet. Probably not.

Only excpetion might be a bike night style parade where it would be a very low speed and a straight line. You know the time when you see a guy and his girl is on the back of the bike in a bikini? That kind of ride. And yes, I'd have my girl back there with a bikini on. Andthing over 15-20 MPH and non-parade/show mode I'd say I'd have to have a helmet on. I am too used to it.

-Flash

·
Registered
207 Posts
just to note, here in Pennsylvania our 'no helmet' law goes in effect Sept.4th or 9th, i forget. I probably will still ride with one but I like the fact that our govt. cannot force us to look out for our own safety anymore.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I feel naked on a bike without a helmet, and too much wind knocking you around and getting in your eyes (even with glasses or something else). Plus, when you go 120 past a speed trap, they only see the helmet.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would have thought about riding without a helmet before I crashed.
But during that crash.... while my helmet was scraping along the ground, face first for a good 5-10 ft before tumbling again. I realized it's probably best to always wear my helmet.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I went to cleveland ohio a couple of weeks ago and the same thing, I seen a ton of bikers but not one guy wearing a helmet! I was like WTF??

·
Registered
999 Posts
Its the same here in Charleston, people ride around all the time in shorts with no helmet. People always ask me if Im hot in my leather jacket and gloves and helmet. I just reply with yes its very hot but do you know how long it takes to grow skin.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I really think it should be up to the rider or driver as to if they should wear a seatbelt or helmet. Although I am in favor of a law requireing anyone under 18 to wear their seatbelt or helmet.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I rode without a helmet last night for the first time. We were going through a construction zone, traffic was way backed up, we were doing around 5 mph and it was super hot. After it was through though, I put my lid right back where it should be. I could never ever ever imagine riding without a helmet though, way toorisky.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm with silver 6r. Also in PA. I see peeps riding without one now. It drives me crazy. If you ride without a one and god forbid something happen your done. I would't even circle my block without one.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Here in south GA, most everybody rides around in shorts and t-shirts. But at least we have a helmet law. I wear my jacket, jeans (yeah, i know - minimal protection), boots, gloves and helmet. i sweat like a mofo, but i at least feel more protected. Other riders can call me a pussy (although no one ever has) all day long, but if an accident (which can occur at any time, any place, and any speed) happens, i know i would come out better than with no protection.

I believe helmet use should be mandatory just as seatbelt use should be in a car. Let's face it, they both greatly increase your chance of surviving should the unexpected happen.

IMO

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Same here in Texas. It's hot as hell, probably even hotter. Like many, I also feel naked without my gear. It's something you have to get used to. I rode to a friends house (1 time only), that lived 3 miles away. I was in shorts, t-shirt, no helmet and it didn't feel right. Wearing your gear is a whole lot easier/cheaper and less painful than a skin graft! Remember, it only takes a split second for a life altering event to take place...

Dress for the crash, not for the ride!!![:M121]

Here's an update to an email that was posted here a while back...

www.cmyoung.com/bikewreck.html

·
Registered
335 Posts
I dont think that there should be a helmet law anymore than there should be a seat belt law. Its about freedom of choice. I choose to wear gear however.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I live in PA and plan on wearing my helmet at all times. besides I need it to use my Chatterbox ;)

anyhow I was wondering for all you guys that ride without helmets, does it hurt when bugs hit your face a 60 or 70 MPH? I have atleast 1 big bug hit my visor on each bike ride and it hits really hard and sounds like it would hurt like hell if it hit my face.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Hurts like hell. Had my helmet on, visor up wearing sun glasses, and a freakin bug hit right below my sun glasses. Shits nasty trying to wipe off. Est. speed was 65mph. Left a mark for a few days. Lesson learned!

What really sucks is the small ones that stay alive and start crawling around your ear...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.