Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished unloading my bike from the back of my truck and realized that it had been strapped down with the throttle full open for a 12 hour hike from Northern Ontario.
When I first started it, the throttle was stuck in full open position. I have since taken the throttle housing apart and greased everything, which seemed to be working ok.
Now! I have the crappiest throttle response and before replacing the cable, I wonder if there is something else I missed. (I also tried adjusting the cable from the handlebar position however, it stays tight for a bit then the more you ride the more slack you get).

I just want the slack gone out of the cable, so I can have my instant response back.

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
Look down by the throttle-bodies where the cable connects and comes out of the tube covering it and look for wear on the cables. You may have to remove the tank or the fairings to get to that point though. I have not got to look at how the cables are set up on the 650r. These bikes throttle cables have a nasty design, and they can fray the cable after some time.

This might have been what happened after being held tight for a long time. Also, if it is frayed, order a new throttle cable asap.

P.S. - hellllllo.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello to you too.. and thank you very much.. I already had most of the screws out of the fairing when I realized that is a job in itself.. grrrr...
I was just going to go ahead and order the cable anyways, hoping that would fix the problem.

Thank you.

·
yut uuuuugh!
5,344 Posts
:eek:........ um, hi:evil6:

Is there some sort of spring that brings the throttle cable back around? I have never gotten that far into things. But I'm wondering if you took the preload out of the spring by having it strapped down for that long... again, that's assuming there is a spring in there.

good luck, and :welcome:

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
:eek:........ um, hi:evil6:

Is there some sort of spring that brings the throttle cable back around? I have never gotten that far into things. But I'm wondering if you took the preload out of the spring by having it strapped down for that long... again, that's assuming there is a spring in there.

good luck, and :welcome:

Damn, I didn't even think about that rbray. Yea, there is a coil spring on the assembly and when you wind on the throttle you're tightening it up. It's perpindicular to the throttle cables, and that could definetly be it, too.

Weird, your first and middle name is the same as my girlfriends, lol.

·
yut uuuuugh!
5,344 Posts
now that trig has confirmed that there is a coil spring... maybe check that out. Seems somewhat unlikely since i have ridden for long periods of time with no problem.... but stuck at WOT for 12 hours does seem like some extreme conditions....

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
By the way, forgot to mention that there is no return on my throttle as well except for when the bar end is off.. and the positioning was never changed..
Frustrating..
now that trig has confirmed that there is a coil spring... maybe check that out. Seems somewhat unlikely since i have ridden for long periods of time with no problem.... but stuck at WOT for 12 hours does seem like some extreme conditions....

It's possible that it was jammed past the springs max compression, and it either broke, or is doublestacked on top of itself in there. I would check that first. If you can easily twist your throttle from 0% to 100% and back, then even a frayed cable is not going to cause that much of a problem.

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
I'll check the microfiche to because I believe there is two springs there. One perpindicular spring that twists, and one that compresses, I'll look real quick...

Edit: I could only see one spring in the microfiche, and you should be looking on the throttle side of the bike I believe. I hope it's not the spring because the throttle assembly can only purchased as one piece, and it's $410 bucks, lol. Maybe you'll luck out and find someone parting-out their bike if that is the problem.

·
ratherberiding
18,438 Posts
Yah, what ^t^h^o^s^e guys said.

model
entrepreneur motivator
bodybuilder
motorcycle enthusiast
hunter
mother
editor
football junkie
sister
adventurist
human
role model

you're a sister? :D

·
ratherberiding
18,438 Posts
Wow, I'm almost ashamed of myself for missing this thread. :evil6:
NO LIE, I opened this thread just to see why you were late :lol:

[/threadjack]

So did you figure it out yet? Is it possible that the cable is damaged where it connects to the throttle bodies?

·
Neutered
9,656 Posts
Well hello...:evil6:

If the return springs on the throttlebodies unseated or got bound on the trip, it could easily cause the issue you're having. If you take off the gas tank and the airbox lid (assuming the 650 has an airbox lid) and lift out the filter, operate the throttle and watch the throttle bodies to see if they're working right. If they open and close, then take the throttle cable out of the throttle cable housing on the handlebar so it doesn't have that tension and manually twist the throttlebodies and see if they return to normal under just their own spring pressure.

That came across kinda garbled, I think. Make sense?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.