Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know some of you take the risk of riding withought it, obviously theres no way they can catch you if they tried to pull you over but what if you were to wreck in the twisties or somewhere else remote and its not rideable what is your plan?take the key bail and report it stolen a few days later saying you were on vacation or whatever, does that actually work?i cant afford insurance this year since a wrecked last year and spent my bike budget on fixing it up and im not going another summer withought riding, never again

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I don't know about over in the east but riding without insurance is illegal here. I know one lady here was fined over $3000 and had her car impounded, they cut her license for a year and now no one will insure her. That was 8 years ago...don't know what the penalty is now.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Then why not just pay liability?! No way would it be over $5000

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
its a HUGE ticket & loss of license in indiana for 6 months. NOT to mention if you hit someone or they hit you, your automatically at fault, at least get liability man & save yourself some kind of headache, i pay $137 a year for liability & $300+ for f/c.. DON'T ride without it man

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
ahhh the great thing about michigan. PLPD insurance.
Having insuance without actually having it.

and its dirt cheap 8)

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
i know some of you take the risk of riding withought it, obviously theres no way they can catch you if they tried to pull you over but what if you were to wreck in the twisties or somewhere else remote and its not rideable what is your plan?take the key bail and report it stolen a few days later saying you were on vacation or whatever, does that actually work?i cant afford insurance this year since a wrecked last year and spent my bike budget on fixing it up and im not going another summer withought riding, never again

Forget the wreck in the twisties. What happens if you crash and injure someone?(and I'm not talking about someone on your bike) You have no insurance, guess what happens? you will get sued and if they win you will have to pay up. Will it be worth it? Please don't say "that will never happen"......I don't know how old you are but when your 35,40,45 your going to kick yourself in the ass for having to pay 3,4,5 thousand in insurance because you wanted to ride with no insurance when you were younger......Seriously bro, it's not worth it.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
For what it's worth the police can do the following even if they don't catch you doing something illegal.

If they get your license plate they can show up at your house and issue tickets as the registered owner of the vehicle. So you'd be looking at probably speeding, racing, unsafe passing, unregistered, uninsured etc etc etc. Probably in excess of $15000 in Alberta depending on how fast you were going when it happened.

You can report it stolen, but you will have reported it AFTER the infractions - which means you'll still be responsible for the tickets. Not to mention the fact you'll have to ditch/get rid of the bike because you'll never be able to register it again, and if you're caught in possession of a vehicle you've reported stolen you'll get fucked so hard that you'll wish the world was over.

You're better off missing a season if you cannot afford to insure it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
!!!

its a HUGE ticket & loss of license in indiana for 6 months. NOT to mention if you hit someone or they hit you, your automatically at fault, at least get liability man & save yourself some kind of headache, i pay $137 a year for liability & $300+ for f/c.. DON'T ride without it man
wow, who do you go with?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Get the insurance or don't ride. Don't be selfish. I'm not worried about you or your bike, think about the other people you may injure or cause damage to. If you wreck and paralyze yourself and can't fix your bike and didn't get insurance....oh, well. Other people don't deserve to suffer for your lack of consideration. I've been hit by people with no insurance and I didn't appreciate it and have no sympathy for them when I beat the fuck out of them.

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
you will screw urself forever if you get caught doing it.

put the bike in someone elses name that has a clean record and get ins in their name.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have ridden without insurrance for a few months, same with a license (I only have my learners right now) As long as you don't get caught, obviously your fine. There are companies out there that you can pay 100 dollars a year, and they just send you an insurrance card. End of story. No coverage, no liability, they just keep you legal.

·
Registered
10,037 Posts

·
Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
36,924 Posts
No way to catch you? I wouldnt be so sure. Get Liabilty only, Its $140 a year for me and if you cant pay for insurance - sell the bike.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I wouldn't risk it. The end result is a lot worse than paying at least the minimum liability a year.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Even if you do the "report it stolen" route, if you have no insurance, it really wouldn't matter since you have no coverage. Riding without a license AND insurance is stupid. Period. The level of coverage you have is up to you.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts